Thread: Alternative to D's Locks? Manual Chair brake options?

Alternative to D's Locks? Manual Chair brake options?

Hi All. Its been a while. I have a 10 year old TiLite TRA-Had D's put on the day it was built and all was fine- about almost a year ago I replaced them but they locked up again this evening-fell apart while I was pushing home and locked in place blocks from my house- ugly( called friends etc ) before I replace them with another set of D's again what are the best other options- I put the hand brakes that came with the chair though when pushing my hand will run into the brake if I do not my hand and as a result its short push rev cycles if that makes sense.... Thanks in advance- I hope you all are well and had a fulfilling Thanksgiving Day!! Daniel
    Last edited by picasso; 11-30-2018 at 12:10 AM.
    Making soup out of mud

I would say 10 years is pretty good for having no brake issues. I'm sure they could be repaired, everything is mechanical after all. I've been using D's for years as well and recently had to replace the cables (which Steve sent to me for free) to fix an issue I had. Aside from the cables (particularly the box where they split from one to two), I don't know of anything else in the system that can actually break. I would call Steve and explain the problem. That's what I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad09 View Post
    I would say 10 years is pretty good for having no brake issues. I'm sure they could be repaired, everything is mechanical after all. I've been using D's for years as well and recently had to replace the cables (which Steve sent to me for free) to fix an issue I had. Aside from the cables (particularly the box where they split from one to two), I don't know of anything else in the system that can actually break. I would call Steve and explain the problem. That's what I did.
    Brad: you are spot on, while I do plan on calling Steve and being it was an year since the first issue- I just wanted to see what are the brake options. It seems that D's are the only option versus typical scissor type brakes.... Daniel
    Making soup out of mud

D,s are hands down the best
    10 yrs is great life for sure
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Blog Entries
    ADI made actual brakes. Surelock made the first hub lock design. I dunno other than that. Won't get 10 trouble free years out of much these days. FYI: You can unlock them manually by turning the silver cap on the end of the piston. Don't turn it all the way off, unless you're prepared to hold it the spring and the piston, because that's also how you take the guts out. I have mine setup so just a couple turns unlocks the pistons from the ring.
    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    ADI made actual brakes. Surelock made the first hub lock design. I dunno other than that. Won't get 10 trouble free years out of much these days. FYI: You can unlock them manually by turning the silver cap on the end of the piston. Don't turn it all the way off, unless you're prepared to hold it the spring and the piston, because that's also how you take the guts out. I have mine setup so just a couple turns unlocks the pistons from the ring.
    Oddity: Thank You- and u are spot on, re un-doing the cap on the piston- replacements are in the mail from Steve- HATE these scissor locks which impact my ability to push the chair, I use my thumbs on the tires..... early Happy Holiday to all....
    Making soup out of mud