Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone heard from Jennifer Spence? (Lynnifer)

So sorry to hear of your situation. Just wanted to chime in that a few years ago I was "out of it" in a hospital bed on a ventilator due to a nasty pneumonia and I laid that way nearly five months. At my worst time I thought it was the end, but very slowly I began to recover around the 5th month. There were so many complications, not just pneumonia for a paralyzed person laying in bed that long, one being a small tear at the back of my throat when my feeding tube was removed. It dripped blood in the back of my throat and when I pointed out this weird drip, they didn't know how long it had been going on so I had to have a blood transfusion! That was only the beginning of the 5 months in hell.

I have recently read articles about SCI persons in hospitals in U.S who are not assisted with a bowel program! Some have said they were told it was illegal unless a doctor did it. I can't imagine this continuing. It seems at least an enema would be given.

I guess I'm holding hope that you will recover, even if slowly. You have so many friends on CC. I want you to have the best care available.

Best wishes Lynnifer.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    I appreciate the sentiments, but I lost my faith long ago. This is from someone who, growing up, having the Minister and his wife over was an honour. Raised in church.

I reject it all.
    No one can make you do anything or stop you from doing anything. All God asks is that you believe in Him. By accepting Him in your life on earth, He assures eternal life after death. It is a gift! We are only on earth for a short time, eternal life with God is forever. Without God in our earthly life we have nothing. I pray that you will accept Him. Amen
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

Lynnifer,
    I know you said you reject it all, but I believe and I'm praying for the best outcome for you. Hang in there!
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    I have recently read articles about SCI persons in hospitals in U.S who are not assisted with a bowel program! Some have said they were told it was illegal unless a doctor did it. I can't imagine this continuing. It seems at least an enema would be given.
    Nurses can indeed help with bowel programs, but the problem mostly seems that they don't know how or simply don't want to. An assist with a bowel program or even an enema or magnesium citrate in a hospital, requires an order from the attending doctor and the nurses are charged with carrying out those orders. Once when I had a hospital stay, the general recuperation unit nurse called for a nurse from the rehabilitation unit in the hospital to assist with the bowel program. Even then, I had to instruct them on what I needed and how to help me.

I’m so sorry, Lynnifer. Best wishes.

Lynnifer-
    Control matters. I feel your pain about the insanity of rules you cannot fix. It's like suffering death by stupidity, but that is actually a common cause. I wish you miracles and peace of heart and mind. As you see, you are in our thoughts.

It is bogus you are being told that an RN cannot do bowel care, including digital stimulation and manual removal of stool. Contact the patient advocate or, better yet, director of nurses. Ask to see in writing the hospital policy and state/provincial regulations that prohibit this. If they existed, nurses in rehab/SCI units/centers would also be prohibited from doing this. This often occurs because they are confusing it with manual disimpaction, which is not the same.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Who's going to handle Andy and other Trumpers here? I gave up long time ago. You handled them very good I also support you either way. Take care.

your life, your choice............much respect to you.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer