Thread: Wheelchair Transfer Training Study

Wheelchair Transfer Training Study

The University of Pittsburg Model Center on Spinal Cord Injury is conducting a study of the effectiveness of Remote Transfer Training.
    http://www.upmc-sci.pitt.edu/transfers/

We are trying to determine if a web-based training program is effective at improving transfer skills of wheelchair users. We are recruiting individuals for this research study that use a wheelchair for a majority of their mobility, can transfer independently and use a seated pivot transfer method. You would not qualify for this study if you have pain that prohibits transferring, you use your lower limb muscles to transfer, or if you have a current pressure sore or a pressure sore in the last 3 months.
    If you choose to participate, you will be asked questions about yourself, any pain you experience, and how you typically transfer. This information will help us better understand who is accessing the training. The training program is an hour long online module that can be started or stopped at any time. You will be compensated for your time for participating in this study.
    You will not receive any direct benefit from participating in this study. Your participation in this study is completely voluntary and whether you choose to participate or not to participate will not in any way affect your employment or relationship with the University of Pittsburgh.

Even if you choose not to participate, you can view the training video. It maybe helpful to review our transfer techniques and possibly learn some new ways to avoid injury to our shoulders.

I imagine that many of us get stuck in a rut where our wheelchair transfer skills are concerned. The transfers I need to do, some of which might look "advanced," I execute flawlessly. But put me in a novel situation, a "weird" bath seat maybe; a car seat that's higher than what I'm accustomed to; a piece of gym equipment with a seat no bigger than a grain of rice; then I freeze. My potential to execute these transfers is there, but without practice (preferably with someone to spot me) I'm often reluctant to make the attempt. I can see where attending a "Wheelchair Transfer Master Class" would build my confidence and expand my independence.
    Last edited by stephen212; 11-29-2018 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    I imagine that many of us get stuck in a rut where our wheelchair transfer skills are concerned. The transfers I need to do, some of which might look "advanced," I execute flawlessly. But put me in a novel situation, a "weird" bath seat maybe, a car seat that's higher than what I'm accustomed to, a piece of gym equipment with a seat no bigger than a grain of rice, then I freeze. My potential to execute these transfers is there, but without practice (preferably with someone to spot me) I'm often reluctant to make the attempt. I can see where attending a "Wheelchair Transfer Master Class" would build my confidence and expand my independence.
    And you can view the class on line. You just have to register and then view the class. https://pitt.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/f...HbZh6mvQhZmyzj

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    The University of Pittsburg Model Center on Spinal Cord Injury is conducting a study of the effectiveness of Remote Transfer Training.
    http://www.upmc-sci.pitt.edu/transfers/

We are trying to determine if a web-based training program is effective at improving transfer skills of wheelchair users. We are recruiting individuals for this research study that use a wheelchair for a majority of their mobility, can transfer independently and use a seated pivot transfer method. You would not qualify for this study if you have pain that prohibits transferring, you use your lower limb muscles to transfer, or if you have a current pressure sore or a pressure sore in the last 3 months.
    If you choose to participate, you will be asked questions about yourself, any pain you experience, and how you typically transfer. This information will help us better understand who is accessing the training. The training program is an hour long online module that can be started or stopped at any time. You will be compensated for your time for participating in this study.
    You will not receive any direct benefit from participating in this study. Your participation in this study is completely voluntary and whether you choose to participate or not to participate will not in any way affect your employment or relationship with the University of Pittsburgh.

Even if you choose not to participate, you can view the training video. It maybe helpful to review our transfer techniques and possibly learn some new ways to avoid injury to our shoulders.
    And you can view the class on line. You just have to register and then view the class. https://pitt.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/f...HbsourceZh6mvQhZmyzj

Hello,

Last year, I was participating in the research on the effects of a standard transfer exercise program on the activities of daily living and transfer quality (published in the Journal of Physical Therapy Science). Interested to view the class and see what aspects of motor imagery ability will be the key points in this study of the effectiveness of Remote Transfer Training.

Best regards,
    Renee Degutis
    New laboratory research center at SHSU