Thread: New chair isn't true.

New chair isn't true.

This is the first time I've ever had this. I just recieved my new wheelchair and when I'm not in it, one of the front casters doesn't touch the ground. And it's pissing me off. It's probably only a millimeter off the ground. This is the first time it's happened and i'm not sure if I need to take the chair back to the DME or just suck it up. This is the second RGK Wheelchair I've had in 20 years, Yes the other one lasted that long. and the first since they were bought out by Sunrise.
    Everybody wants freedom.... They just don't want it for everybody else...

A college professor, a man I now consider my dad, once told me...
    "The minute you let someone decide what you can and cannot do, your life is no longer yours." A truer word has never been spoken in my opinion.

Professor Bill Johnston
    (1930- )

The first thing I would suggest is to loosen the footplate arms, see if that straighten things up. Sometimes it can ever so slightly twist the frame if it's not exactly true.

Small things like that annoy the feck out of me too.

Blog Entries
    Is it an open cantilever style frame or a closed box style? On cantilevered frames this often happens because the footrest isn't lined up and torqued down evenly. As suggested, I'd loosen it, line it up, and snug it back down. If that doesn't work; or if you have a box frame, do the same thing but this time have someone else do it while you're sitting in the chair. This can be enough to flex the wheel to the ground, and when properly lined up and torqued the footrest becomes a structural member holding the geometry. (Especially true of the open cantilevered frames!)
    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

If you try those things first and your caster is still floating you can throw a washer or two around your fork stem bolt to space the caster down some, if your forks mount to the frame in the same way a TR does. I had to do this with my current chair.