Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barrier Free Home resource

I don't think FL has much of a real estate tax benefit /exemption for Para's ...could be wrong. I wonder if they are only state that has property tax/exemption for quads great perk if you qualify

Disability Exemptions
    Residents who have various types of disabilities are eligible for exemptions ranging from $500 to complete relief from property taxes. These exemptions include the following:

Disability exemptions of $500 are available to Florida homeowners who are totally and permanently disabled.
    Blindness exemptions of $500 are available to legally blind residents.
    Quadriplegic exemptions are available on real estate owned and used as a homestead by a quadriplegic. Such homesteads are completely exempt from property tax.
    Total disability exemptions are available on real estate owned and used as a homestead by a totally and permanently disabled person who must use a wheelchair or is legally blind and meets income requirements. This exemption provides complete relief from property taxes.

Not to derail this thread, but are there other states that offer property tax exemption to quads??

Do you know what income requirements are for permanent total (para) ?
    Do you have to count your spouses income ?

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    Disability Exemptions
    Residents who have various types of disabilities are eligible for exemptions ranging from $500 to complete relief from property taxes. These exemptions include the following:

Disability exemptions of $500 are available to Florida homeowners who are totally and permanently disabled.
    Blindness exemptions of $500 are available to legally blind residents.
    Quadriplegic exemptions are available on real estate owned and used as a homestead by a quadriplegic. Such homesteads are completely exempt from property tax.
    Total disability exemptions are available on real estate owned and used as a homestead by a totally and permanently disabled person who must use a wheelchair or is legally blind and meets income requirements. This exemption provides complete relief from property taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by pete4sake View Post
    I called my county to day and asked all I am quad and doo not pay property taxes which for me pays for my caregiver

Click the income limitations link in one of the posts above. And it seems they count everyone in that house when figuring income. Big question is why the counties are asking for and counting SS income towards the limitation, and the tax exemption statute defines income as specifically exclusive of SS income. I'm missing something there it seems...

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Click the income limitations link in one of the posts above. And it seems they count everyone in that house when figuring income. Big question is why the counties are asking for and counting SS income towards the limitation, and the tax exemption statute defines income as specifically exclusive of SS income. I'm missing something there it seems...
    I was not ask that all I had to do was produce 2 dr letters and I have it I was not ask about income period

Unfortunately I don't know the answers to your questions. Being a quad all that is needed is a letter from my Dr.

best thing to do is call ur county tax commissioner they will tell u problem solved

Ya I am just speculating at this point. Probably have to wait until my wife retires to even consider qualifying. I am always looking for benefits to get out of the cold!