Thread: T4 ASIA A from EU

T4 ASIA A from EU

Hi, I'm an ex EU pro cyclist, I have had a serious bike crash resulting T4 complete injured (ASIA A). I'd like to participate to your forum sharing my experience with hospital, rehab center; my problems and current alternative therapies.

After the crash (all the ribs, both clavicles, sternum and vertebrae from C7 to D8 fractured plus perforation of both lungs) , I was hospitalized for 10 months (resuscitation department, intensive neurosurgical therapy then infectious disease department). During this time I contracted countless infections including Acineto bacter, Klebsiella, Candida, Pseudomonas... This delayied the stabilization of my spine.

The worst period from the clinical point of view has passed and I moved into Santa Lucia spinal center in Italy (Rome), not a good choice, poor physioterapy, complete absence of occupational therapy and doctors completely devoid of humanity.

Now I'm at home, I do physiotherapy 3 x week and do a lot of exercise, the hardest problems to solve are the bowel program and the neuropathic pain (concentrated in the abdomen and anal area).

My current pharmacological therapy:

Gabapentin 300mg 3 x day
    Oxybuthinin 2,5mg 3 x day
    Sodium valproate 300mg (slow released form) 2 x day
    Gastrodin 300mg
    Apixaban 2,5mg 2 x day
    Ursodeoxycolic acid 450mg
    Gonadorelin intranasal (short acting GnRH) 3 x week
    Lorazepam 2,5mg pre-bed

Work in progress...

Sorry for the bad english.

Welcome to the CareCure community. Thank your for sharing your medical history thus far. Let us know what further experiences you’d like to share or questions you have.

pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Hello El Bandido. From the state of Michigan in the USA. Hang around and absorb some of the stuff on here. You might even get to like us. Sorry about your injury. Sounds like it was a bad one. Are you a member of one of the riding groups like Nike or, Red Bull? Your rehab sounded intense. The bowel program is a regular bitch. l am a para at T 11. Results of a motorcycle accident. Been 10 years now. Biggest concern are those secondary infections caused from simple little things that happen. Best wishes to you. Post any time. I'm sure you have many interesting things you can tell us about. ......Bigtop1
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

Thanks for the welcome, I'm not a member of those riding groups, I have only one thing in my mind, to maximize my recovery and my autonomies. I'm physically and genetically prepared for endurance sports so I don't exclude one of it in my future, but it's not time yet. I hope I'll have only good and interesting things to tell you.