Thread: New C4 complete 8.23.18 additional surgery needed now

New C4 complete 8.23.18 additional surgery needed now

I am new to the group. I joined due to my son's gymnastics accident which was a C5&C6 compression fracture. Fused C5&C6 anterior. Healed for 13 weeks, now surgeons want posterior surgery to stabalize fractured vertebrae. I am not happy with such a long delay but resigned. Connor has been diagnosed C4 complete, but has bicips, deltoids and some back muscles as well as trace in his triceps. Some movement in his wrists sideways, not against gravity. Hoping for tendonisis. He has been in outpatient rehab after 1 month in hospital and 1 month inpatient rehab. Not sure what to expect for recovery after second surgery. Just trying to figure things out. Any input would be appreciated.

Why was this not done when he was first injured? Where was he for both his trauma care and rehab?

Posterior fusion is a big surgery, but easier to do generally, and safer, than anterior fusion because of having to get access to spine does not require going into the soft tissues in the front of the neck, risking peripheral nerve injury and significant soft tissue damage. He is likely to require a neck brace post-op, though, which can hold him back in therapy and in some oof the function he does have during the recover process.

Is his diagnosis of a C4 injury based on his sensory exam? A grade of 3 or better in deltoids and biceps would generally lower his injury level to C5 unless he did not have normal sensation at C5 as well.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Connors surgery was done at Texas Childrens Hospital in Houston, Tx. They did not do the posterior because they initially felt the surgery went well enough. They said the second surgery was always a possibility. His rehab was done at TIRR Memorial Hermann in Houston, Tx. The diagnosis was given to him at 1 month after accident. He had very little bicep at the time and diagnosis was due to sensory I believe. He now has a 5 deltoid and bicep according to the PT and is getting some feeling but no movement in random places in his body. He can feel most of his arms and the palms of his hands as well as the tip of his left thumb. Random feelings- bottom of left foot, heel of right foot, right knee, stomach and right pinky. He has been in a neck brace this whole time. Do you know how long he might be in the brace after the second surgery? And how long before he can return to PT & OT?

Thank you for your responses. I am trying to handle everything as it is just he and I but it is a bit overwhelming.

I'm sorry to hear of your son's accident. Glad you found this community, welcome.

Welcome to the CareCure community
    so sorry to hear about your son?s injury

spine stabilization is to make sure the damaged bones do not further damage he spinal cord and to make sure that his head and neck stay erect.
    i hope the website and pictures on the website help you understand location of the anterior and posterior aspect of the spinal bones/vertebrae and the location of the spinal cord.

pbr

https://mayfieldclinic.com/pe-anatspine.htm

Vertebrae are the 33 individual bones that interlock with each other to form the spinal column. The vertebrae are numbered and divided into regions: cervical, thoracic, lumbar, sacrum, and coccyx (Fig. 2). Only the top 24 bones are moveable; the vertebrae of the sacrum and coccyx are fused. The vertebrae in each region have unique features that help them perform their main functions.
    Cervical (neck) - the main function of the cervical spine is to support the weight of the head (about 10 pounds). The seven cervical vertebrae are numbered C1 to C7. The neck has the greatest range of motion because of two specialized vertebrae that connect to the skull. The first vertebra (C1) is the ring-shaped atlas that connects directly to the skull. This joint allows for the nodding or ?yes? motion of the head. The second vertebra (C2) is the peg-shaped axis, which has a projection called the odontoid, that the atlas pivots around. This joint allows for the side-to-side or ?no? motion of the head.

The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.