Thread: Botox question for the SCI Nurse

Botox question for the SCI Nurse

I had Botox in August (100 units). I was supposed to get 200 but for some reason they messed up. The August procedure didn't seem to work that well and I continued to leak. About 3 weeks ago, my bladder seemed to stop leaking... at least 95% of less.

Anyhow, I'm scheduled to have 200 units next week. Should I reschedule until the leakage returns? Could the procedure "harsh my mellow" of bladder retention?

To be completely honest, I don't want to see my urologist again. After the mix-up of the last procedure, I called the office to find out why I didn't get the full 200 units. I was polite, simply wanted to figure out what had happened. I had to call twice because no one was there to give me an answer the first time. Anyhow, 9 days after my second call, the urologist calls me and says that we'd do Botox in November, but in a very harshly rude tone, "Don't call the office. You don't need to call the office." pause... "Someone will call you in November to let you know when." (November became December)

So, aside from being pissed off at the urologist (no pun intended... consciously, anyway) should I get Botox if my bladder is behaving?
    Last edited by Scott C4/5; 11-26-2018 at 10:09 PM.

Well good question - if you don’t feel comfortable with the tone of the urologist performing an upcoming procedure - in the end it is your decision. Has this provider completed a Botox procedure on you prior to all these current events? What was the outcome before?

pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Same doctor.

First dose was May 16. He did 100 units and I had two weeks of zero leakage. Then heavy leakage.

I was going to have another 100 units put in about 9 weeks after the first procedure. The night before I was to have it done, I got sick and had to cancel. I called the office the next day and spoke to them about waiting a few more weeks so that I could get a full 200 unit dose.

On August 22, I went in to have it done, but that's when they messed up and gave me 100 units again. I had a couple weeks of very light leakage but then substantial leakage again... until about 3 weeks ago when it seemed to stop leaking very much at all.

He seemed to be a competent, compassionate doctor, when I met him in April, but now I wouldn't care less if I never saw him again. I just hate finding a new doctor and making the switch.

One thing I recommend is to establish a relationship with his staff like a Nurse Practitioner or PA OR nurse in his office. He probably is busy but hopefully if he has good supportive staff who should help relieve his stressors by communicating with the patients. Good luck in sorting it out. It is hard to discern something so important to your day to day life.

pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.