Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Never ending pressure sore

Never ending pressure sore

I've had what looks to be a pressure sore since July. It started off as a small scuff on my right ischial tuberosity and despite keeping pressure off as much as I can it doesn't seem to want to improve. We've tried different dressings and creams, seen it improve and deteriorate and 4 months on I've still got a 3mm dia mark. Photo colour is too red, the skin is actually a lot lighter. I've been on bed rest for the last 2 weeks, hardly been up at all. Almost all of that time has been on my left side and we still aren't seeing any real improvement, maybe slightly smaller and less red but only fractionally. Skin is smooth not scabbed and occasionally dries out then flakes off leaving healthy skin under it.

It doesn't seem to get worse when I was up in the chair for a few hours and has had some full days up with no noticeable problems.

I'm starting to wonder if it will ever heal fully or just ignore and get on with my life?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Due to the scar tissue there, this is always going to be a very vulnerable area for you. Are you sure you are not getting friction to that area during transfers or when doing weight shifts? It looks to me more like a friction wound than a pressure ulcer. Regardless, a friction wound can turn into a pressure ulcer if subjected to excessive pressure.

What kind of cushion are you using in your chair? Are you doing reclining weight shifts, or tilt-in-space weight shifts? The former can cause friction/shear much more than the latter.

I would recommend a hydrocolloid dressing for now, changed every 2-3 days, and cautiously start sitting again, building up time up gradually if possible.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Try puracol only thing that works on my sore I tried everything.

Medihoney works very well also

I had been using my FES bike to keep muscle on my butt however we noticed that it was pulling me forward so I haven't been on for almost 2 weeks. Stopping has made little difference. It could be shear from that rather than pressure which might explain why it doesn't get worse from sitting. Roho cushion, correctly set and not changed or altered since it appeared.

We have used honey, avilar and seaweed with a tegafoam dressing when it was broken but now nothing works, it doesn't improve no matter what we use.

Other side ischial is scarred but doesn't break down despite me being on it almost all the time. Very frustrating.

Suggest you look at your seat on your FES bike and make some adjustments before using it again. This may require a different cushion, or adding some "dump" to the seat angle.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Suggest you look at your seat on your FES bike and make some adjustments before using it again. This may require a different cushion, or adding some "dump" to the seat angle.

(KLD)
    I've been in touch with the importer who has provided detailed descriptions of how to get my position correct. I'll start with short sessions initially and see if I move.

you say fes bike do u use those pad for stim? if so how close to that are they my fes bike I used from my chair after 7 years the pad started burning me just an idea

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    you say fes bike do u use those pad for stim? if so how close to that are they my fes bike I used from my chair after 7 years the pad started burning me just an idea
    I have a TENS machine set up for improving circulation. FES pads can cause burns, usually they heal quickly. I've experienced this and avoid putting pads on to broken skin.

Is there any evidence that this FES bike thing stimulates circulation? Regular physical activity does. Do you perform any physical activity? Standing in a standing frame or KAFOs? Swimming? Your skin seems to be very dry and it makes it to be more vulnerable to friction wounds.