Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Caster bearing help

I did google 608-2MS and only the Sunrise Medical bearing comes up with the two dimensions. Online the medical supply places are asking $11-$14 each for that exact item number. That is why I was asking for help here. There are 608-2RS bearings out there. Wasn't sure what the difference between the "M" and "R" would be. The Sunrise one I need is in inches and when I convert it to metric one measure is right on, but the second is only super close...like Rusty said it could be tight or sloppy then. I didn't know if that would be an issue. The bearing "nonoise" linked has one dimension right on, but the other dimension is 22 mm or 0.866154" and I need 7/8" which converts to 0.875".

ETA: Thanks. I'll get someone to remove the bearing.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

There are no special wheelchair bearings. Sunrise is putting inch sizes to confuse things and make it look special in a probable effort to support their DME dealer racket as you directly experienced. 608 is the size, 608 it is. You can get either metal shielded for cheap, or plastic/rubber sheilded for more $$ with possibly dubious benefit. If you are plowing though snow, cheap and replace often is best, as no bearing can handle what amounts to an underwater environment long-term. There is stainless steel versions too, but be certain that the balls are stainless also and not just the body, or vice-versa. Cost/benefit on those should be examined also.

Have to agree with Andy on this one.

I once picked up a set of roller blades for $5 at a garage sale.
    Scored a nice deal on a lot of bearings from that spot. I made sure they were in good enough condition as replacements or even as emergency bearings to have on hand.
    I?m sure I have a few kicking around in my fishing tackle box, now converted and nicely organized of all my wheelchair parts and tools needed. Makes it easier to just grab the box and work on my chair anyhwhere.
    -----------
    Eddie

I got mine on Amazon, also a 8 or 10 pack for less than, same exact part number on both.plus free shipping and had inv2 days

I can?t get the top bearing off the stem of my backup tr3, I have sprayed with rust breaker to no avail. Anyone ever use bearing or terminal puller to get stem bearings off?
    Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    As you stated 608-2MS are your bearings. These are them, fully sealed: https://www.amazon.com/608-2RS-Beari.../dp/B002BBCX0Q
    Price is high even including shipping. You can probably find something less, just google 608-2MS.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    I can?t get the top bearing off the stem of my backup tr3, I have sprayed with rust breaker to no avail. Anyone ever use bearing or terminal puller to get stem bearings off?
    This'll git 'er done:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SMALL-B...T/312320455591

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Thx Andy it’s the very top bearing that normally rides in the castor housing I was able to rubber mallet the entire caster housing off which just left the shaft and the one top bearing stuck on the shaft I don’t know that this would pull it off
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Had the same thing happen on my TR3, bearing got a stuck spot, top bearing on the caster stub shaft on the frame that wouldn't come down. I got that tool, used it to get a grip on the bearing between the bearing and the frame, and a combo of tightening the tool to wedge itself between the bearing and the frame, along with whacking the tool with a hammer, got that bearing off.

Sweet I’ll buy it thx much
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Had the same thing happen on my TR3, bearing got a stuck spot, top bearing on the caster stub shaft on the frame that wouldn't come down. I got that tool, used it to get a grip on the bearing between the bearing and the frame, and a combo of tightening the tool to wedge itself between the bearing and the frame, along with whacking the tool with a hammer, got that bearing off.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    Sweet I?ll buy it thx much
    A lousy and dusty pic to give you a better idea on size of that tool:
    Attached Images Attached Images