Thread: Out of control blood pressure.

Out of control blood pressure.

I (and a team of medical professionals) are having a rough time trying to control my ortho-static BP. I am on Midodrine, which can raise the pressure when lying down. Does anyone else have this? I am 66 years old and C-5-6 complete for 47 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
    I (and a team of medical professionals) are having a rough time trying to control my ortho-static BP. I am on Midodrine, which can raise the pressure when lying down. Does anyone else have this? I am 66 years old and C-5-6 complete for 47 years.
    Yes, I take Midodrine too. But, I find that it has a very short half life. I moderate my intake of Midodrine to accommodate staying up long enough for a bowel program. I do my bowel program every other night, about one hour after dinner.

I am 73 years old, C6/7 complete post injury, 36 years. I take 10mg of Midodrine to get me up and out of bed in the morning, 5mg of Midodrine to get me through breakfast (I also have postprandial hypotension-blood pressure goes down after eating), then 10mg mid day and 5-10mg before dinner depending on if I am doing a bowel program. I never have a problem with high blood pressure after I get into bed at night, because I am mindful of when and how much I take depending on how much longer I am going to have to be sitting up in either my wheelchair or commode chair.

That is how Midodrine works for me, I'm sure, like almost everything else, your mileage may vary.

Are you also using mechanical means to try to keep your blood pressure up? This would include compression hose, sometimes needing additional Ace wraps on top, as well as an abdominal binder. Are you making sure you are well hydrated when first getting out of bed? Are you treating for symptoms, or just because your blood pressure reading is low without symptoms of orthostatic hypotension?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I wear high compression hose and drink water before and after I get up in the morning. I have a spinal cyst, too.

Can anything be done about a spinal cyst?

Do you mean a spinal cord cyst or a cyst (abscess or tumor) outside the cord in the spinal canal?

Surgical management of a syrinx (spinal cord cyst) is done only as a last resort, as it can cause further damage to the cord as well. Most neurosurgeons will only do it if there is evidence that the syrinx is growing in size and signs and symptoms of the syrinx are worsening over time.

Uncle Peter, are you having symptoms of orthostatic hypotension such as dizziness, nausea, or fainting, or are you being treated for your blood pressure reading alone without signs or symptoms? Are you using an abdominal binder, and have you tried applying Ace wraps over your compression hose?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

On the MRI, the growth looked like it was inside the canal. I plan to follow up with the neurosurgeon in early February.

My most recent fainting symptoms were in October. I wear the thigh high compression hose but no Ace wraps. The main concern now is hypertension when lying down. I will see a cardiologist on Wednesday. Other quads must have had this, too. But who has the solution?