Thread: Insurance refusing to compensate for chair

Insurance refusing to compensate for chair

So I've been in a suit over being hit by a car, that damaged my TiLite ZR, for six months now. I've had bodily injury, and have been trying to fundraise for a van, being it's super tough getting in my Element (non-adapted). Unfortunately Geico, the driver's insurance, has been shady, and didn't divulge that she only had the minimum. So it will be what's left of 15K. The attorney had been trying to get them to replace my chair, but they first wanted written proof of it being unrepairable. I sent that, from both the Regional rep saying bent frames are unrepairable, and an ATP saying it was bent. Months go by. I sent the serial number and the specs from an original email. Then I priced out the specs, which came to $7200. More weeks and weeks go by. They finally came back with saying that they researched and discovered the value of my chair to be between $1500 and $3100, and that's all they will offer. WTF. Have no idea where they're basing that on. It's infuriating, they're treating this like it's a bike or something, not my lifeline. For six months I have had to use the FreeWheel with the chair to get anywhere at all outside the house, because the shimmy was bad. Then not being able to drive...suck!
    Here Geico is a huge corporation. They should have replaced my chair quickly. So I called the news, and they came right out and did this story. Geico didn't comment, but hopefully they're feeling some pressure from bad press. https://www.10news.com/news/normal-h...ace-wheelchair

Quote Originally Posted by heartdog View Post
    So I've been in a suit over being hit by a car, that damaged my TiLite ZR, for six months now. I've had bodily injury, and have been trying to fundraise for a van, being it's super tough getting in my Element (non-adapted). Unfortunately Geico, the driver's insurance, has been shady, and didn't divulge that she only had the minimum. So it will be what's left of 15K. The attorney had been trying to get them to replace my chair, but they first wanted written proof of it being unrepairable. I sent that, from both the Regional rep saying bent frames are unrepairable, and an ATP saying it was bent. Months go by. I sent the serial number and the specs from an original email. Then I priced out the specs, which came to $7200. More weeks and weeks go by. They finally came back with saying that they researched and discovered the value of my chair to be between $1500 and $3100, and that's all they will offer. WTF. Have no idea where they're basing that on. It's infuriating, they're treating this like it's a bike or something, not my lifeline. For six months I have had to use the FreeWheel with the chair to get anywhere at all outside the house, because the shimmy was bad. Then not being able to drive...suck!
    Here Geico is a huge corporation. They should have replaced my chair quickly. So I called the news, and they came right out and did this story. Geico didn't comment, but hopefully they're feeling some pressure from bad press. https://www.10news.com/news/normal-h...ace-wheelchair
    Don't know where you live but here in Oklahoma each aspect of a 'vehicle accident' is handled separately: Vehicle, Injury, DME Equipment.
    I was rear ended with rear entry lift. Vehicle Adjuster done inspection after got quite from repair shop.
    Injury was bill sent to their insurance company. Had get our insurance to handle that after their insurance called me and I referred them to my insurance or/and my attorney.
    My DME contacted DME Equipment Adjuster to inspect my chair and lift(both totaled) but adjustment was made to cost of replacement due to age of equipment.

Even with a Police report showing who the other driver was at fault speeding in Flagman Zone that had my lane stopped for other lane to use the single open lane. witnesses to wreck and skid marks the other driver was speeding, was several years back, their attorney contacted me that it was my fault.
    Don't know if makes any difference but we had Full Coverage including Uninsured Motorist, I seem to recall the DME Adjuster said if other driver's insurance was not enough that would kick in(Not sure been long time).
    That was when I contacted a attorney. Their office took care of everything, I got a check for each part of 3 Adjuster Reports: First for vehicle damage, Second for Lift and Chair together. Once doctor released from treatment due to accident that check was sent.
    Found easier to just get attorney and let them deal with everything.

I've had an attorney, and all he's done is get back to me with what they say. I wish I hadn't gotten one now, because he was told the insurance was "adequate" so sent me to the doctors on a lien, which now is eating up most of the injury settlement. The max is 15K per the insured's policy, so the lawyer will get a third, and the doctors will get a third and Medi-Cal will get paid back. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by heartdog View Post
    I've had an attorney, and all he's done is get back to me with what they say. I wish I hadn't gotten one now, because he was told the insurance was "adequate" so sent me to the doctors on a lien, which now is eating up most of the injury settlement. The max is 15K per the insured's policy, so the lawyer will get a third, and the doctors will get a third and Medi-Cal will get paid back. Ugh.
    WOW! Sounds like things are done really different there from Oklahoma. My regular doctor had referred me to a doctor that dealt with injuries from accidents. She said that insurance from work did not cover auto accidents that whichever driver that was at fault's insurance had to cover all those charges.
    My attorney was recommended by a neighbor and he never mentioned charges to us just not to worry that the other driver's insurance or other driver since they were at fault had to pay his charges.
    Our DME got new equipment even before they got their check from their insurance company. The lift was last to be replaced since had get vehicle repaired first.
    "Sorry" about your problems, hope they get worked out.