Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does UTI always require antibiotics?

Does UTI always require antibiotics?

I haven?t had an urinary infection in years now, at least none that I noticed. Wednesday evening started to feel abnormally cold and a few uti symptoms, but no fever. Since then I feel a bit down, less energy, most of the time coldish, with slightly elevated temperature, but nothing to worry about.
    Now, I?ve been drinking lots and lots of water, lemon, honey, raw garlic, etc. I just want to avoid the antibiotics if possible and get rid of the uti naturally. I didn?t go to the doctor cause I?m sure it?s an uti and what they?ll do is prescribe me antibiotics.
    Is this a good idea and should wait a bit longer before going for the antibiotics? Any advice?

I keep AZO uti test strips on hand and test whenever symptoms require.Sometimes you can get a false positive if you collect urine for example just after you wake up.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvio GS View Post
    I haven?t had an urinary infection in years now, at least none that I noticed. Wednesday evening started to feel abnormally cold and a few uti symptoms, but no fever. Since then I feel a bit down, less energy, most of the time coldish, with slightly elevated temperature, but nothing to worry about.
    Now, I?ve been drinking lots and lots of water, lemon, honey, raw garlic, etc. I just want to avoid the antibiotics if possible and get rid of the uti naturally. I didn?t go to the doctor cause I?m sure it?s an uti and what they?ll do is prescribe me antibiotics.
    Is this a good idea and should wait a bit longer before going for the antibiotics? Any advice?
    When you have some symptoms of a urinary tract infection, think... go to the doctor to get an order (or call the doctor's office for an order) for a Urinalysis (UA) and a Culture & Sensitivity (C&S). Don't think go to the doctor for antibiotics. Once the results of these tests have been delivered to your doctor (takes about 48-72 hours for the C&S to be completed) he/she can assess whether and which antibiotic is needed. Taking antibiotics without the information that these tests provide your doctor is not a good idea.
    Last edited by gjnl; 11-17-2018 at 03:25 PM.

If your urine culture comes out positive with >100,00- of the organisms, and it takes 3 days to get the results and you still have the symptoms it needs to be treated. If symptoms have gone away then you probably don't. But remember net weekend is a long weekend and you don't want ot be sick over the holidays and most offices are closed.
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

It’s been 3 days now and symptoms haven’t changed yet and I rely on paracetamol for the chills and headache. Tomorrow I’ll make a huge effort and go to the weekend Gp. In the meanwhile I do have at home some penicillin, amoxicillin+ clavulanic acid that I could take until the I sort out the doctor. A small dose to stop the bacteria progressing.
    Is that a recommended antibiotic for most of the utis?

It’s been 3 days now and symptoms haven’t changed yet and I rely on paracetamol for the chills and headache. Tomorrow I’ll make a huge effort and go to the weekend Gp. In the meanwhile I do have at home some penicillin, amoxicillin+ clavulanic acid that I could take until the I sort out the doctor. A small dose to stop the bacteria progressing.
    There is no generally recommended antibiotic for urinary tract infections.

DON'T take any antibiotic until you have taken a urine specimen to submit for the UA and C&S. See post #3 above for what these abbreviations mean. If you start taking an antibiotic before your get a specimen, you will not get an accurate bacteria count and interfere with the culturing of the urine.

I have an agreement with my physician. He allows me to have a supply of Macrobid at home, if I promise not to take it until I have submitted the urine specimen to the lab for UA and C&S. Usually Macrobid, will knock down the uncomfortable symptoms until my doctor can get the results of the C&S and prescribe the most effective antibiotic.

If your doctor does prescribe an antibiotic, make sure he orders a 12-14 day course of the drug. Urinary tract infections in people with spinal cord injury are always considered to be complex infections and should not be treated with a short course of 5-7 days. After you have finished the course of antibiotics, wait about 3 days and get another UA and C&S to make sure all bacteria has been eliminated.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    I keep AZO uti test strips on hand and test whenever symptoms require.Sometimes you can get a false positive if you collect urine for example just after you wake up.
    These are useless in diagnosing a UTI in most people with a neurogenic bladder, as colonization (which is not a UTI) will give you a false positive as well.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

It’s been 3 days now and symptoms haven’t changed yet and I rely on paracetamol for the chills and headache. Tomorrow I’ll make a huge effort and go to the weekend Gp.
    Are you still having a fever and chills? Fever and chills, as well as malaise and sometimes flank pain are indications that the infection is involving your kidneys and not just your bladder. Such infections can permanently damage kidney tissue, and over time lead to renal failure if there are repeated untreated kidney infections. In addition, a kidney infection can lead to urosepsis, which is a serious condition related to bacteria getting into your blood stream from your infected kidneys. It is foolish to try to ignore a true UTI in the long run.

In the meanwhile I do have at home some penicillin, amoxicillin+ clavulanic acid that I could take until the I sort out the doctor. A small dose to stop the bacteria progressing.
    Why do you have a supply of antibiotics like this at home? Is it because you did not complete the course of antibiotics prescribed for a previous infection? This is a poor practice, and can lead to the development of and you becoming colonized with resistant strains of bacteria which can no longer be treated by those antibiotics when appropriate. Taking a "small dose" or a very short course of an antibiotic for a complex UTI (which is the type that occurs in people with SCI/D) can have the same effect.

This can only be determined by doing a culture and sensitivity (C&S) test of your urine when you have UTI signs/symptoms. There is no one antibiotic that is appropriate for every infection.

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 11-20-2018 at 01:19 PM.

Everyone's different, but FWIW I'm comfortable with colonization and don't have clinical signs of infection (mainly just tiredness) so when colonization rises to possible infection I sit with it for a few days to a week, monitoring for leukocytes. Things usually resolve themselves within that time. I've found the leukocyte dipstick usually reads + to nul for colonization but +++ for infection. I agree that getting a C&S before taking an antibiotic is generally the best course, but in my case (this over many years) the pathogen responds to Bactrim DS, which my PCP will order without testing first. I can tell pretty quickly if whatever antibiotic is working or not, and if no, get back to her.

The foregoing sounds complicated, but in practice it saves both me and my PCP lots of time. The upshot is that I tell myself to relax, letting my bladder floral duke it out by themselves. I wonder, Does over the long run the bladder flora establishes a quasistable microecology, somewhat similar to what the intestinal flora do?

Again, this is only one person's experience, and your mileage may vary. - fw