Thread: Cure for froglegging. That doesnt require surgery.

Cure for froglegging. That doesnt require surgery.

Is there one?

I had a hip replaced in 2009. The surgeon "released" one of the groin tendons to make the operation easier for him. At the time it was no big deal. But almost 10 years later I'm struggling to sit in my chair properly. My frog leg hits the tire of my wheelchair. Havent gone to a pt yet as I want to try to find a solution on my own first.

The leg bones seem to be twisting as when I try to bring my knees together the froglegging foot wants to go outwards.

I have a feeling that surgery is required, but I'm wondering if there is anything I could do with a cushion in the meantime?
    Everybody wants freedom.... They just don't want it for everybody else...

A college professor, a man I now consider my dad, once told me...
    "The minute you let someone decide what you can and cannot do, your life is no longer yours." A truer word has never been spoken in my opinion.

Professor Bill Johnston
    (1930- )

I don’t understand. Do you not have sideguards? Why isn’t there something between your leg and the tires?

obviously not an anatomical solution, but maybe a non surgical one

Yes the wheelchair has sideguards. But my legs desire to flay outward is stringer than the sideguards ability to keep the leg straight. The sidegaurds are aluminum too. Was thinking to put a belt around my legs. Did it once. Caused a lot of pain where the belt was.

"The minute you let someone decide what you can and cannot do, your life is no longer yours." A truer word has never been spoken in my opinion.

Professor Bill Johnston
    (1930- )

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Yes the wheelchair has sideguards. But my legs desire to flay outward is stringer than the sideguards ability to keep the leg straight. The sidegaurds are aluminum too. Was thinking to put a belt around my legs. Did it once. Caused a lot of pain where the belt was.
    Crucial. Seems like you'd be at risk of causing pressure sores to your legs using a strap as well (or the sideguards for that matter if your legs are pressing on them so hard).

The cushion can certainly affect the splay of your legs, is yours contoured at all?

Using a Roho Harmony at the moment. Extra padding was my first thought. I forgot to mention, I have scoliosis. It's mild but, I've been feeling unsteady for the last couple of months. I think the scoliosis is making me lean on that leg and making it splay.

Professor Bill Johnston
    (1930- )

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Using a Roho Harmony at the moment. Extra padding was my first thought. I forgot to mention, I have scoliosis. It's mild but, I've been feeling unsteady for the last couple of months. I think the scoliosis is making me lean on that leg and making it splay.
    Would some sort of abductor work?
    Scroll down to last three or four: http://www.amstilt.com/index.php/adductors

I've used a strap around my legs for 40+ years without any problem. Presently I use a velcro 2"strap. Works great and helps with carrying stuff on my lap. Without the strap, I couldn't carry anything without it falling thru the legs. I have some scoliosis too.

Roho cushions, for me are evil. Being a higher level, Rohos would make me feel like I was sitting on a rocker and felt very unsecure in the chair. I used the hard green foam for 42 years and recently had a seating eval. All the docs and therapists right away suggested Roho; turns out Roho test the worst of the ones I tried. Ended up with A ride cushion. So far am on the second years with one and works much better.

Use a strap around your legs to help with the froglegging. You may have to adjust the footrest length to compensate for the difference with the strap.

I don't know if this will work in your situation, but if you do use a strap, I recommend the Bodypoint universal elastic strap, http://www.bodypoint.com/ecommerce/p...-elastic-strap . It works much better for me than standard nylon straps because of its padding and its slight flexibility.