Thread: does anyone have an alternating pressure cushion?

does anyone have an alternating pressure cushion?

I have a potential pressure sore (meaning red area) on on my left ischial area (where my butt bone is that I sit on) that my husband is watching very carefully.

I just bought an alternating air pressure mattress topper for myself and am considering something similar for my chair. Below is a link to one possibility I found, and others can be found on Amazon?s site under a search for ?alternating pressure cushion?.

I currently have a Stimulite supracore honeycomb contoured cushion that?s abt. 4 years old.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...S6EQ1V4CT&th=1

Any insight? Should I temporarily replace what I have with one of these?
    "courage is fear that has said its prayers"

I would not recommend it without having a computerized interface seating evaluation done on a variety of cushions. We evaluated a number of these where I worked on a SCI unit, and found that none of them was better than a custom fit (sometimes custom made) non-dynamic cushion; and that includes the much more expensive versions of this type of cushion.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I would not recommend it without having a computerized interface seating evaluation done on a variety of cushions. We evaluated a number of these where I worked on a SCI unit, and found that none of them was better than a custom fit (sometimes custom made) cushion; and that includes the much more expensive versions of this type of cushion.

(KLD)
    thanks! what does "non-dynamic" mean, & who gives this type of evaluation?
    "courage is fear that has said its prayers"

I would totally agree with KLD on her recommendations. NOn-dynamic, in this sense means that the cushion is not alternating the pressure. I would recomment that you increase the number of pressure reliefs that you are doing. As far as the pressure mapping evaluation, it is usually done in an OP setting - usually by a PT but it can be an OT. I would call a rehab center that has a seating clinic - ideally, but some community OP centers also do them.
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.