Thread: Custom devices now possible

Custom devices now possible

I use a lateral support on my Permobil M300 because I tilt to the left side. The only one my DME and I could find that would work for me is made by Stealth. Although it provides the support I need, it has a major drawback. To get it out of the way when I am working to the left, it swings around 180 degrees. It sticks out a good bit behind the seatback.. If I make a turn going through a doorway or near a wall, it often gets whacked out of position or bent. What I needed is a lateral that simply flipped up like the flag on my mailbox. I could not find anyone locally to make one. However, in May Sami Rahman made an intriguing post on the CC Manufacture and Vendor Forum. See http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?262369-Custom-Wheelchair-Parts-Mods-and-Bearing-Tools&highlight=sami

I followed up and found Sami eager to help. I already had an outline of what I needed from when I approached some local machinists. My approach was to use most of the Stealth parts and just replace the hinge section. I made some sketches from which Sami made a mock up with a 3-D printer. I put the mockup on my old wheelchair and found that I needed to make a couple of changes. I refined my sketches and Sami made a second mock up. After one more minor tweak, Sami made the real parts from 1/8" aluminum. My custom made lateral works even better than I anticipated. I do not have to struggle with the lock-release button on the Stealth or reach way around the back of the seat to bring the lateral pad back into position. I simply nudge my custom lateral up and down with my elbow.

Below are photos of the Stealth lateral support on my manual wheelchair. You can see how far it sticks out in the back when not in use. The red button must be depressed to move it in the desired position.

Name:  stealth1.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  21.2 KBName:  stealth2.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  20.5 KB

Below are photos of the first plastic mock up Sami made.

Name:  p1.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  14.9 KBName:  p2.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  14.7 KBName:  p3.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  16.4 KB

The final product is in the next post window. Apparently I maxed out the allowable space here.

I am now sketching out my design for a perfect typing stick. Sami should be able to make it with his 3D printer. If you have need for a custom device or equipment modification get in touch with Sami at Disability Lab. Here is the link to his website: Http://disabilitylab.com . The cost of my lateral components was much less thaan I expected.
    Last edited by SCIfor55+yrs; 11-10-2018 at 04:48 PM.

Here is the final product in both positions. When not being used the support pad is completely out of the way. It is simple but does the job

Name:  new3.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  16.5 KBName:  Dscf0284.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  49.0 KB[Name:  side.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  17.7 KB
    Last edited by SCIfor55+yrs; 11-10-2018 at 04:51 PM.

brilliant !!

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55+yrs View Post
    Here is the final product in both positions. When not being used the support pad is completely out of the way. It is simple but does the job
    Why was a 3D printer required? It looks like a couple of pieces of sheet metal could do the trick (?)

How durable is the resulting product?

Quote Originally Posted by automation View Post
    Why was a 3D printer required? It looks like a couple of pieces of sheet metal could do the trick (?)

How durable is the resulting product?
    The plastic mock ups enabled me to determine if the if the final version of the lateral would be positioned correctly and that the parts could be integrated with those of the Stealth lateral that I used. In essence, it eliminated some guess work.

The actual parts are made of 1/8" thick aluminum. I based the choice of 1/8" aluminum on the thickness of the parts the Stealth laterals are made of. The pieces on my lateral are 2 inches wide and will bear a great deal of stress. The bolts are stainless steel.

What a great resource! Thanks for the heads-up.
    Know Thyself

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55+yrs View Post
    The plastic mock ups enabled me to determine if the if the final version of the lateral would be positioned correctly and that the parts could be integrated with those of the Stealth lateral that I used. In essence, it eliminated some guess work.
    Makes sense. I had (misread!) thought the final result was printed plastic (note that you can also 3D print other materials -- for a price!). Prototyping is an excellent use for 3D printer technology (verify fit, form and function before trying to come up with a "real" implementation)

The actual parts are made of 1/8" thick aluminum. I based the choice of 1/8" aluminum on the thickness of the parts the Stealth laterals are made of. The pieces on my lateral are 2 inches wide and will bear a great deal of stress. The bolts are stainless steel.
    Yeah, here we have to rely on what "came before" as to sorting out the choice of material (based on its mechanical characteristics and the stresses that it is likely to see) has got to border on BFM! And, hope the original designers got it right! (e.g., broken seat backs).