Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Constant sleepiness

Constant sleepiness

Hello,

I've a pretty busy schedule working, teaching, studying, and going to class.

I feel sleepy a lot of times during the day. I feel like I need a nap every three hours, if not I start feeling sleepy and my productivity falls. I can be facing an interesting thing to do and still my eyes close.

Is there any disease or syndrome I could try to discard before assuming I just need to sleep more?

Thanks!

Are you taking anything like oxybutynin or baclofen?
    If you can get your doc to prescribe modenifil that prevents sleepiness with zero speediness.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

You may have sleep apnea. Your dr could order a sleep study to see if this is the case. If so, problem can often be easily corrected by sleeping with a C PAP mask.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    You may have sleep apnea. Your dr could order a sleep study to see if this is the case. If so, problem can often be easily corrected by sleeping with a C PAP mask.
    i was going to post same
    i was like that till i had the study done and found i have sleep apnea .
    do you snore

Another possibility is Narcolepsy. https://www.ninds.nih.gov/Disorders/...psy-Fact-Sheet

What is narcolepsy?

Narcolepsy is a chronic neurological disorder that affects the brain’s ability to control sleep-wake cycles. People with narcolepsy usually feel rested after waking, but then feel very sleepy throughout much of the day. Many individuals with narcolepsy also experience uneven and interrupted sleep that can involve waking up frequently during the night.
    Narcolepsy can greatly affect daily activities. People may unwillingly fall asleep even if they are in the middle of an activity like driving, eating, or talking. Other symptoms may include sudden muscle weakness while awake that makes a person go limp or unable to move (cataplexy), vivid dream-like images or hallucinations, and total paralysis just before falling asleep or just after waking up (sleep paralysis).
    In a normal sleep cycle, a person enters rapid eye movement (REM) sleep after about 60 to 90 minutes. Dreams occur during REM sleep, and the brain keeps muscles limp during this sleep stage, which prevents people from acting out their dreams. People with narcolepsy frequently enter REM sleep rapidly, within 15 minutes of falling asleep. Also, the muscle weakness or dream activity of REM sleep can occur during wakefulness or be absent during sleep. This helps explain some symptoms of narcolepsy.
    If left undiagnosed or untreated, narcolepsy can interfere with psychological, social, and cognitive function and development and can inhibit academic, work, and social activities.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    Yes, this is common in sleep apnea, which is also more common on those with SCI. Best to get a sleep study done and be assessed for this. Untreated sleep apnea puts a lot of stress on your heart as well.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Very unlikely. His pattern does not fit that of narcolepsy.

Also, when you hear hoof beats, don't assume zebras! It is much more likely to be horses!

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Very unlikely. His pattern does not fit that of narcolepsy.

Also, when you hear hoof beats, don't assume zebras! It is much more likely to be horses!

(KLD)
    What kind of a pattern can you discern in five sentences?
    Last edited by gjnl; 11-08-2018 at 07:06 PM.

Have you had your Red Blood Count (RBC) measured recently? When I had anemia I was always sleepy.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    What kind of a pattern can you discerned in five sentences?
    I have worked with patients with narcolepsy, have you??? The person falls asleep in the middle of activities or even when talking, not just feels sleepy or tired.

(KLD)