Thread: Danger in compressing lower thoracic area to raise blood pressure when standing up?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Danger in compressing lower thoracic area to raise blood pressure when standing up?

Hello,

Every time I stand up using my Easy Stand my blood pressure goes down amazingly. To keep it normal, I strap a velcro around my lower thoracic area, applying pressure around my belly button and a bit beneath as well. I've been doing this for years. My concern is if there's any risk associated with this, can anyone think of any? Does anybody else does this?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by C5C6 View Post
    Hello,

Every time I stand up using my Easy Stand my blood pressure goes down amazingly. To keep it normal, I strap a velcro around my lower thoracic area, applying pressure around my belly button and a bit beneath as well. I've been doing this for years. My concern is if there's any risk associated with this, can anyone think of any? Does anybody else does this?

Thanks!
    You are experiencing orthostatic hypotension. One aid often recommended is a sacral lumbar support. Possibly that strap is working much like a support or binder would.

I think that the strap is acting like a abdominal binder or support. It should not cause any long term harm, just make sure that you check your skin.
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Thank you both! Would you mind explaining me how does compressing the abdominal area help relieve orthostatic hypotension?

Preventing and treating orthostatic hypotension: As easy as A, B, C

JUAN J. FIGUEROA, MD, JEFFREY R. BASFORD, MD, PhD, and PHILLIP A. LOW, MD

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2888469/

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN WE STAND UP?

When we stand up, the blood goes down from the chest to the distensible venous capacitance system below the diaphragm. This fluid shift produces a decrease in venous return, ventricular filling, cardiac output, and blood pressure.
    This gravity-induced drop in blood pressure, detected by arterial baroreceptors in the aortic arch and carotid sinus, triggers a compensatory reflex tachycardia and vasoconstriction that restores normotension in the upright position. This compensatory mechanism is termed a baroreflex; it is mediated by afferent and efferent autonomic peripheral nerves and is integrated in autonomic centers in the brainstem.
    Orthostatic hypotension is the result of baroreflex failure (autonomic failure), end-organ dysfunction, or volume depletion. Injury to any limb of the baroreflex causes neurogenic orthostatic hypo tension, although with afferent lesions alone, the hypotension tends to be modest and accompanied by wide fluctuations in blood pressure, including severe hypertension. Drugs can produce orthostatic hypotension by interfering with the autonomic pathways or their target end-organs or by affecting intravascular volume. Brain hypoperfusion, resulting from orthostatic hypotension from any cause, can lead to symptoms of orthostatic intolerance (eg, lightheadedness) and falls, and if the hypotension is severe, to syncope