Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions wanted

Opinions wanted

of all the companies or entities looking to get a credible treatment to the people... Who do you THINK is on track to offer a real treatment first... Time wise
    Just curious what yall think
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

is it even fair to ask this yet

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

In my opinion i think it will take a breakthrough that will likely have nothing to do with SCI research. It will probably be a series of unpredictable events, like an army of tech geeks in a lab fifty years from now develops technology to print tiny nano robots. Twenty years after that another team accidentally discovers a way to build live nerves from scratch while working on an unrelated project. Ten years later a medical device company starts work on a project to combine the two tech companies ideas. After ten or twenty years of animal testing and another five to twenty years convincing the FDA, the cure goes live to those who can afford several lifetimes worth of savings to pay for it. Over the next ten years prices drop to the point that insurance companies can cover it without going bankrupt.

SCI cure is a breakthrough unlike any that have yet been achieved by modern medicine (at least it would be if we went from near zero today to a true cure for chronic injuries where the nerve is completely destroyed). It will require several leaps in technology and I doubt anyone could accurately predict where the real innovation will come from, but I’ll bet my baby nephew’s grandchildren are in the retirement home before humans have a realistic path to a cure... not sure how I’m going to collect on this bet now that I think about it, so I guess i ought to withdraw my wager.

I feel bad for posting in the cure forum, I probably should re-restrain myself from doing so like I used to for the first five or ten years post injury... I know I'm a big pessimist. But your post popped up in my feed from the home page and your title seemed to be inviting an honest, non-delusional answer... anyway this is just my opinion, I'm no expert in SCI research.

i AM looking for your honest opinion, no matter what it is... It's interesting to me

Let us look it this way...a spinal cord injury is a lot like many cables have been severed. See the attached photo.

Some how, all of those colored wires have to find the right pair of colored wires with which to pair. What are the odds?

Not sure why the jpeg isn't showing up as a picture rather than a link???? Is this something new? I downloaded and posted the jpeg as I always do?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by gjnl; 11-07-2018 at 12:21 AM.

Agreed with funklab. If you have spinal cord injury - whether traumatic or non-traumatic - you're going to die with it. I'm sorry but believe me, this paralyzed-at-12-years-old person never thought she'd still be here in this chair at 46.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Getting back to the question,

There is an investment report that documents the answer, for 30 companies:
    https://www.researchandmarkets.com/r...pinal_cord?w=4

Unfortunately it costs $2K which has put me off. However if you click on the Companies Mentioned tab it gives you an idea of who is doing what.

This doesn't include any of the estim companies, which could be 2 years away if they receive investment, and much longer if they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by niallel View Post
    Getting back to the question,

There is an investment report that documents the answer, for 30 companies:
    https://www.researchandmarkets.com/r...pinal_cord?w=4

Unfortunately it costs $2K which has put me off. However if you click on the Companies Mentioned tab it gives you an idea of who is doing what.

This doesn't include any of the estim companies, which could be 2 years away if they receive investment, and much longer if they don't.
    I'd save the 2k and build my own spreadsheet of information links off that list of companies working in the field. Much of what these companies are doing can be intensely searched and compiled without purchasing the expensive report. (Most of them people haven't heard of). It just takes time to search and compile.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    I'd save the 2k and build my own spreadsheet of information links off that list of companies working in the field. Much of what these companies are doing can be intensely searched and compiled without purchasing the expensive report. (Most of them people haven't heard of). It just takes time to search and compile.
    I thought that too, it would give an idea of what they were working on. I made a start and a lot of them probably don't hold much interest for us.

I've seen reports like this before for other sectors and they are worth the money if you are financially investing in the sector.
    The analyst will have had access to senior people at the companies and will have much more info than available in public reports - however I bet it's not the kind of info we would be interested in regarding clinical benefits.

I've asked if there is non-profit pricing, if so I might get it to see if the info is relevant.