Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: power chair batteries

Yes, if you put them in storage fully charge them and disconnect them from the control system. If you don't they will drain. Wouldn't hurt to give them a recharge after 3 months, or so.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelin 48 View Post
    im gonna be getting these soon and wont use chair till summer but need get them b4 warranty runs out so is it ok to fully charge them then unplug the batteries till spring and break them in then i saw were if your not using chair to do that but not sure since these are brand new unbroke in batteries
    Be sure they are fully charged before storing. Assuming you will have them installed in your chair, you might want to take them out for a test ride before putting them away -- so you don't have to wait until Spring to discover if you have some other problem lurking! ("They worked when I put them into storage")

Protect them from temperature extremes. In Illinois, I'd imagine freezing (if stored in a garage, etc.) would be the greater worry -- though heat could also be a concern if stored near a furnace.

Plan on "topping them off" before your next use.

If your chair has a "hard" power switch that breaks contact with the batteries COMPLETELY, then flip that to off (and make a mental note to flip it back on in the Spring before trying to charge them!)

If your chair does not have such a switch (instead, relies on a bit of electronics to "turn the chair off"), then you should unplug the battery pack to eliminate any parasitic drain on the battery while its in storage (the electronics consume a tiny amount of power -- "leakage" -- even when the power is "off")

Quote Originally Posted by automation View Post
    Be sure they are fully charged before storing. Assuming you will have them installed in your chair, you might want to take them out for a test ride before putting them away -- so you don't have to wait until Spring to discover if you have some other problem lurking! ("They worked when I put them into storage")

Protect them from temperature extremes. In Illinois, I'd imagine freezing (if stored in a garage, etc.) would be the greater worry -- though heat could also be a concern if stored near a furnace.

Plan on "topping them off" before your next use.

If your chair has a "hard" power switch that breaks contact with the batteries COMPLETELY, then flip that to off (and make a mental note to flip it back on in the Spring before trying to charge them!)

If your chair does not have such a switch (instead, relies on a bit of electronics to "turn the chair off"), then you should unplug the battery pack to eliminate any parasitic drain on the battery while its in storage (the electronics consume a tiny amount of power -- "leakage" -- even when the power is "off")
    thats what i was thinking thanks
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]