Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: power chair batteries

power chair batteries

i have an old hand me down jazzy i use for out in the yard i just bought new batteries from batteries plus in march havent used the thing a whole lot and now the batteries are going dead fairly fast anyone else have issues with this i think there just bad batteries im gonna take them back i charge it once a week unless im using it
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

what group size are they. did you get deep cycle batteries?
    Art

Quote Originally Posted by wheelin 48 View Post
    i have an old hand me down jazzy i use for out in the yard i just bought new batteries from batteries plus in march havent used the thing a whole lot and now the batteries are going dead fairly fast anyone else have issues with this i think there just bad batteries im gonna take them back i charge it once a week unless im using it

Sometimes they sell cheap batteries and one made from China and expect quality and long lasting use?

Whats the brand?

Batteries Plus here usually carry good brand batteries. They did go from Werker to Duracell a few years back. Did you go with AGM, SLA or Gels?
    Did you break them in?
    Do you exercise them at least once a week or so to at least run down to 50%?
    Have you gotta the battery connections checked?
    Have you used different know good charger to rule out bad charger?
    Have had load test on batteries?
    Did you make sure they sold you deep cycle and not starting batteries? Why ask a local battery store was selling U1 lawn mower batteries for U1 to scooter and powerchair users. Those batteries had short life, store said had 1 year warranty til many taking back that warranty went to 6 months. But they were cheap batteries, as well, like $29 and change each.

How are you deciding that they are "going dead fairly fast"?

Does the gas gauge dip (significantly) when you apply load and then "spring back"? When it has "sprung back", is it showing a low state of charge or a "good" state of charge?

If possible, examine your entire wiring harness from battery to motor controller. Pay attention to the battery posts (if you can "move" the wire, then the connection is "loose" and needs to be tightened). Also unplug battery and motor connectors (from the motor controller) and examine their contact surfaces for signs of corrosion.

[Ideally, you would want to monitor the voltage ON the battery posts as you applied load. If the battery is good but the wiring/connections are faulty, the voltage will remain relatively stable. OTOH, if you monitor the voltage on the WIRES, you may see voltage drops (droop) caused by flakey connections.]

https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/slag12=31j

is what i got from them there a duracell gelbattery the things just dont seem to be holding a charge after a half mile trip around my neighborhood all 3 green indicator lights are gone and im in the prange its a jazzy1113ats it has a meter on back were charger is and it shows half used i think these are just bad batteries
    Last edited by wheelin 48; 11-07-2018 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Art454 View Post
    what group size are they. did you get deep cycle batteries?

i got 2 of them cost 250 something i trying to find reciept

there duracell gel batteries i dont have the manual but gel batteries came out of it is what they said at batteries plus

Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post
    Sometimes they sell cheap batteries and one made from China and expect quality and long lasting use?

Whats the brand?
    duracell deep cycle gel batteries

is what i got from them there a duracell gelbattery the things just dont seem to be holding a charge after a half mile trip around my neighborhood all 3 green indicator lights are gone and im in the prange its a jazzy1113ats it has a meter on back were charger is and it shows half used i think these are just bad batteries
    Quick and simple get them to do a load test on both batteries. If found to be defective and within warranty they will replace with same type battery.
    Also, a Jazzy 1113 ATS is getting a bit long in the tooth, as they say.
    Your onboard charger may be losing it's usefulness, too.
    One good these on Jazzy you can use a off board charger via plugin connector for programer/off board charging port on front of controller/joystick.
    In case you don't have maunal(Page 33 on charging via joystick):
    https://www.pridemobility.com/pdf/ow...113_ats_om.pdf
    Also, check battery harness to make sure it's secured properly to each battery post, diagram shound be on frame, too. Due age of chair the wire harness may be having broken wires at junctions or in bends due to age and brittle state.
    I have had 3 Jazzy 1100s and often used the programmer connection for off board charging without problems. Each one of those tanks at some point of their life the onboard charger was toast.
    "Good Luck!"