Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help muscle spasms have taken over

Good in theory to eliminate the stimulli but it may be impractical. For example, if you get spasms only with a UTI, then obviously you treat the UTI and expect the spasms to go away. But what if you have spasms because of H.O.? You can't really treat that. Some people get spasms from a full bowel. Such stimulli can have a drastic impact on quality of life. Do not underestimate the quality of life improvement with a baclofen pump. You still have to try to manage the root cause if possible. But why not do so with a little peace of mind?

I keep my baclofen pump dosage high enough to give me peace of mind and still low enough that I still get some spasms periodically. That way I can have quality of life and still receive red flag signals from my body.

Having said this, not all spasms are signalling failure. Sometimes the root cause of spasms is an overactive spinal cord (I know this because of my body's reaction to caffine, sugur, and other stimulants too risky to enjoy anymore). In which case, spasms can be your sci's best friend. They help maintain tone and muscle and bone mass. You just don"t want them to be so bad that they drive you nuts. Hence, the pump is set just right to keep them alive and well and still under control.
    Last edited by August West; 11-12-2018 at 04:00 PM.