Thread: surgery for vent users

surgery for vent users

I may be needing cataract surgery next year. Would like to hear anyone's experience with anesthesia if you use a vent for sleep. The only information I have found is the use of a tubing attachment that goes into the patient's mouth with the ventilator placed at the foot of the table.

I am concerned about whether my oxygen levels would be monitored, especially since this is considered a short surgical procedure. If I am simply given a cannula and oxygen tank, I can have an apnea event (not drawing a breath) while asleep from the sedation, thus it seems a ventilator set-up may be the way to go, even for this short surgery. I don't have any issues while awake and using cannula, but I do have apnea events fairly regularly while on vent and use a wrist monitor to awaken me if my oxygenation gets below a set level.
    Thanks for any suggestions.

You would need to discuss with the anesthesiologist. I would say he most likely would have a standby ventilator and other potentially necessary equipment.
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Thanks for the info. With sedation I didn't think there would be an anesthesiologist as it's about 10+ minute procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    Thanks for the info. With sedation I didn't think there would be an anesthesiologist as it's about 10+ minute procedure.
    I had the surgery a year ago and an anesthesiologist was present to deliver a very small dose of Versed - he put me on heart, BP and oxygen monitors and remained throughout the 10-minute procedure. He didn't give me enough Versed to make me forget the procedure, because they wanted me to be alert enough to follow instructions (which they never had to give me, it was all over so fast). The procedure was easy, there was no pain, and my vision has never been better.

Discuss your concerns with the surgeon, and he'll make sure that whatever you might need is on hand. The anesthesiologist will probably meet with you before the procedure, and certainly if you request it. I doubt that apnea will be an issue, but talk it over with your doctor to be sure.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

I, too doubt that apnea will be an issue. However, I would discuss my concerns with the anesthesiologist. There was someone present throughout my cataract surgery, also.
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Really appreciate the comments. My husband, a para also, just had this surgery and said he thought they might let me get by with just a nasal cannula and supplied oxygen. It was reassuring that his surgeon and anesthesiologist both visited him during prep time and again while in recovery - where I was present. Can't believe how fast the procedure went, and the care he received. Hubby said he was mildly awake and felt no discomfort.