Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shivering cold to hot and sweaty

Shivering cold to hot and sweaty

The last two nights have been disconcerting.

Both night we ate in restaurants. Shortly thereafter, on the way home Saturday night and after arriving home last night, I became very cold to the point of shivering. My body was cold to the touch and my ir thermometer read 96F. I got to bed and used a small heated blanket to keep the uncontrolled shivering at bay. Both nights I fell asleep (blanket on a timer) only to wake up about 90 minutes later hot as hell and having sweat through my clothes. I remained over hot the rest of the night.

Ideas?

No skin problems. Urine is clear and no odor and no problem outside that dinner-10:30 PM stretch when the shivers have kicked in.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Take a urine specimen in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Patton57 View Post
    Take a urine specimen in anyway.
    Will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    The last two nights have been disconcerting.

Both night we ate in restaurants. Shortly thereafter, on the way home Saturday night and after arriving home last night, I became very cold to the point of shivering. My body was cold to the touch and my ir thermometer read 96F. I got to bed and used a small heated blanket to keep the uncontrolled shivering at bay. Both nights I fell asleep (blanket on a timer) only to wake up about 90 minutes later hot as hell and having sweat through my clothes. I remained over hot the rest of the night.

Ideas?

No skin problems. Urine is clear and no odor and no problem outside that dinner-10:30 PM stretch when the shivers have kicked in.
    touch of food poisoning
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

But two evenings in a row with no other symptoms?
    Wife is running the sample in for me so I could be here at work...hope they at least do the inconclusive dip test soon. Culture obviously takes a couple days.

How long after you were up in your chair before the symptoms started?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    How long after you were up in your chair before the symptoms started?
    Good question. Saturday I wasn't in the chair too terribly long. Also of note is that both days I had a beer which is rare. I've never had any issue like this with alcohol before, but I do get worse nerve pain from it. Sunday I got up and lifted weights before heading to a play and then dinner so I was up in a chair of some sort from roughly 11 AM until about 8:30 PM. That's pretty long but my work days are wake at 4:45 AM and get home around 6:30 PM so longer.

If you’ve been practicing clean living, reintroduction of alcohol can throw your body off - sweating. Also possibility is gastrointestinal reflux.

pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Dip test came back positive on Monday evening and urologist PA prescribed Cipro which I decided not to take until I got a culture result because last year I had a false positive dip test that got me to start a 14-day antibiotic that I couldn't quit when the culture came back negative.

Anyway, this morning my nerve pain was off the charts so I started the Cipro. A couple hours later the culture came back positive for Enterobacter aerogenes which happens to be one of the nastier ones as it's resistant to 3rd generation Cephalosporins. There are also reports from NIH of some forms of Enterobacter aerogenes being resistant to Cipro, but Cipro is, generally, a good antibiotic for this bacteria.

Fingers are crossed (figuratively).

I will keep a good thought for you.