Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: need new bed

Once, when in a nursing home for a few months I noticed their beds would go almost to the floor - patients who might fall out of bed had the height close to floor - maybe 12", then a very large cushion/pad was placed on the floor next to the bed. Sorry, don't know what kind of bed frame it was.

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    Once, when in a nursing home for a few months I noticed their beds would go almost to the floor - patients who might fall out of bed had the height close to floor - maybe 12", then a very large cushion/pad was placed on the floor next to the bed. Sorry, don't know what kind of bed frame it was.
    There are a number of bed frames made specifically for this at risk population for use in nursing homes. You can find them most often by searching for "extra low hospital bed frame". Often the bed frame deck-to-floor height is from 6-8" with these. For someone who uses a lift (either ceiling track lift or mobile floor-based lift) this is less important than it is for someone who does a scoot or slide board transfer.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    I don't perceive that the original poster, "Alan", is asking about mattress recommendation. He says "I needed new bed. I know I need a prescription for a full electric bed, and I shouldn't have a problem getting that, but with (possibly what) brands of bed are good?"

As I understand what he is asking for, it is brands of beds, not types of mattresses.

Maybe "Alan" can be more specific in his request.
    Yes, I was asking about brands of beds. I forgot to mention Medicare is my insurance.

I have a Drive Medical Low Air Loss Lateral Rotation mattress.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

You don't necessarily have a choice of the brand of bed you are going to get. The brand of bed depends largely on the region of Medicare you are in and what Medicare approved durable medical equipment (DME) suppliers provide to patients in their regions.

The bed will be very basic, similar in size to a twin sized bed with electric head/foot elevation and manual (crank) lift to adjust height from the floor.

About 3 months ago, I went through this with my physiatrist documenting that I need head/foot elevation and lift adjustments. The prescription for the bed was submitted to a DME supplier in my region that is Medicare approved. About a week after the documentation was submitted, I got a call from the DME supplier in my area. They wanted to deliver the bed the next week. At the time, I was not quite ready to take the step to an electric bed since my Sleep Number bed already has head/foot elevation (at the time NL was having 2 cataract surgeries and we thought the height adjustment may be helpful). So I didn't take delivery on the bed and I don't even know today what the brand of the bed was. I did ask the supplier if I had any choices in beds, because I wanted to look them up to see what I was getting. The supplier told me that they only deliver one brand of bed that has electric head/foot elevation and manual lift capabilities that would be covered by Medicare benefits.

That was my experience. Doubtless, there will be others with completely different experiences because Medicare is variable through out the network of coverage.