Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need new bed

need new bed

I needed new bed. I know I need a prescription for a full electric bed, and I shouldn't have a problem getting that, but with brands of bed are good? A nearby DME supplier has Drive medical beds. Are they acceptable? I'm searching for other DME company to call, to see what brands of bed they provide, but I have to move quickly. We can no longer raise the back of my old Borg Warner bed. Somebody hit the button on the control, and nothing happens. All connections are secure.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Depends on your clinical needs and personal preferences. If you need mechanical pressure relieving systems you will find more selection in hospital size beds. If you are relatively healthy with good skin and need a bigger bed than you have less options.

I cannot live in a hospital size bed as they are just too small for turning. I have a transfer master full-size bed with a span America pressure guard cft mattress. Before that I had a Neuropedic bed and mattress. The transfer master is much superior. The span America mattress is an excellent nonpowered mattress many excellent features.

Unlike foam only mattresses, span America can simply be refilled in its eight air chambers when part of it gets a bit soft.

Span America also does have powered pressure relieving systems in the full-size.

If you bed will be funded by Medicare, you don't have much choice in make or features. Medicare has a few beds that they will cover and if that doesn't suit your needs, too bad.

If you have private pay insurance it may be easier to get coverage of make, model, size, and features that suit your needs.

If you have special mattress considerations, it may be a good idea to seek the advice of a physical or occupational therapist to become familiar with features that are right for your situation.

I currently have a Drive Bariatric heavy duty full electric hospital bed through Medicare. I think it's 42" and platform is solid with round holes in it, why the holes I have no clue.
    My old DME can explained better than I can remember. These rules are set by CMS of patient had have one of several different Diagnosis, a need for rapid raise head of bed and full electric need to have whole bed raise/lower for things like transfers.
    To get wider than normal hospital bed width had have a weight of, I think at least 80% of recommended for regular width bed of like 250lbs. So, I got Heavy Duty which is 42" width.
    They have wider hospital beds but they require patient weight being higher, not sure on weight but can get bed up to 54" wide.
    My Drive 42" HD had now for about 11 years. Problems hand pendant been replaced once, whole bed up/down button quit working. Called old DME made a home visit bought new pendant. The Tech checked bed over and found nothing else wrong. Mattress been replaced twice. Last is gel over the foam.
    Hospital bed before this last one junk! Lasted less than 4 years, pendant replaced twice and finally motor quit that raised head. DME said cheaper to replace than repair. It I feel caused air mattress to get leaks, too. Had get mattress replaced 3 times. That when got current bed.
    One before junker was a rock and it last over 10 years but DME recommended replace when started having problems due to it's age.

I believe Alan is looking for a bed frame, not a mattress, so it would be helpful to not muddy the waters with mattress recommendations.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I believe Alan is looking for a bed frame, not a mattress, so it would be helpful to not muddy the waters with mattress recommendations.

(KLD)
    I don't perceive that the original poster, "Alan", is asking about mattress recommendation. He says "I needed new bed. I know I need a prescription for a full electric bed, and I shouldn't have a problem getting that, but with (possibly what) brands of bed are good?"

As I understand what he is asking for, it is brands of beds, not types of mattresses.

Maybe "Alan" can be more specific in his request.

You can still ask the DME for a specific bed and chip in the cost past the allowable (for a standard bed unless you meet criteria for more). Yes, it's more work for the vendor but it's your nights of sleep.

You can also order by phone and on line, if the vendor takes Medicare for your service area.

Drive is generally a basic, no-frills brand but it's really about the model and the motor. I would try for a Linak motor. I don't know what motor(s) Drive uses in every bed, but some of them at least are Linaks. It should say in the description or you can ask.

The lack of responses here may reflect that most users would probably be more keen to tell you what you need as far as features in the frame and mattress, instead of the brand. But if you were happy with the old bed, you can ask the DME if that is matchable in a Drive or whatever brands they carry.

A major consideration IMO would be how low will the bed go? We got hospital type beds that have helped tremendously but didn't consider that a foam overlay of about 2" would not facilitate a good gravity transfer into the bed using a transfer board. We get by with it, but we found out later that lower bed heights were available. (We don't want to remove the overlay).
    If you need to transfer independently this might be a consideration for you. I think ours are Transfer Master.

I have a Joerns Easy Care. Other than finding the remote cord a little short and the buttons hard to press no problems with the bed.

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    A major consideration IMO would be how low will the bed go? We got hospital type beds that have helped tremendously but didn't consider that a foam overlay of about 2" would not facilitate a good gravity transfer into the bed using a transfer board. We get by with it, but we found out later that lower bed heights were available. (We don't want to remove the overlay).
    If you need to transfer independently this might be a consideration for you. I think ours are Transfer Master.
    That is a great point about height of bed.
    My Drive HD Hospital bed even with bed at lowest level was to tall. Old DME took wheels off the bed and that dropped height to much better level. He put some square coster things so metal legs didn't dig into flooring and I think helped keep it from sliding around, too. Still bed has to be shoved down a bit due to trapeze hanger on headboard gets to marring the wall from bed sliding from transfers.
    So, yea you might get specs on height of bed at lowest level with and without wheels even though it's full electric to make sure you can transfer.