Thread: Stimulite Contour vs ROHO High Profile

Stimulite Contour vs ROHO High Profile

Hi, I've used ROHO High Profile cushions for 20+ years, but have become increasingly frustrated with them because 1) I'm constantly worrying if the cushion has too little/too much air. It seems anywhere but 'just right' can cause redness. 2) I find the cushion lacks support.

I've been looking at the Stimulite Contour. One question is, how far does one sink into it vs. the ROHO. Would I need to raise the armrests and seat back because the cushion sits significantly higher? I believe the Stimulite is 3.5" thick, whereas the ROHO is 4.25" without load.

Blog Entries
    The Stimulite Contour is 3.5" thick at the medial hump (between the legs). Everywhere else is lower. The leg troughs are ~2.5" high, as are the trochanter shelves. The dished out area for the ischials is maybe 1" thick at its center, radiating upwards to the rest of the cushion. The XS provides a solid .5" immersion for me (~155lb). It's not like a Roho at all, but has about the same height off the seat pan at the ischials as a properly setup Roho (~.5"). I switch between a mid-profile Roho Quattro and a Stimulite Contour XS without any chair adjustments. A high profile might need a seat to footrest tweak.
    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Regarding "I believe the Stimulite [Contour] is 3.5" thick ..."

From the Wheelchair Cushion Sage website:
    The manufacturer's 3" thickness specification is; of course, somewhat of an average since the contoured surface of this cushion - its curvy top - exhibits a range of thicknesses that vary from point to point on the cushion. The front, left and right edges of the cushion, and the center pommel, are approximately 3.5" thick. The front leg well areas - the two low areas seen from the front - are approximately 3" thick. The rear seat well area - the back of the cushion where the buttocks would rest - is approximately 2" thick.

Regarding "... Stimulite Contour ... how far does one sink into it ..."

The sink-into-it distance depends upon a number of factors. For example, whether or not the XS option is present (Oddity alluded to the XS option), whether or not the cushion is placed on a perfectly flat or sling surface (e.g., stretched or taut seat upholstery), the person's pelvic physique (e.g., a bony bottom compared to a more fleshy bottom of people whose weights are identical), the as-seated air pressure of the valved air cushion to which it is being compared (whether it be a ROHO or Star brand), etc. all influence the sink-into-it distance.

Just sticking my nose in with a bit of, most likely useless comment. I ask about change in cushions awhile back since rear had healed. Doc and seating both said same that amounted to not mess with what was working.
    If you change cushions be sure to check often and regularly to make sure you don't develop a rear problem,

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP2013 View Post
    Just sticking my nose in with a bit of, most likely useless comment. I ask about change in cushions awhile back since rear had healed. Doc and seating both said same that amounted to not mess with what was working.
    If you change cushions be sure to check often and regularly to make sure you don't develop a rear problem,
    Thanks! Agreed, this is my biggest hesitation with switching.

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    Thanks! Agreed, this is my biggest hesitation with switching.
    If it's not to personal, have you lost or gained much weight since started worrying about amount inflation of ROHO?
    I ask because I lost a great deal of weight during cardiac problems. ROHO been perfect til then but took several adjustments over that period of medical problems til got back to feeling right.
    I really noticed how much weight difference when went to use a backup chair that been sitting with cushion un-readjusted. Felt like sitting on a rock! Had let alot air out to get down to right amount air.
    By product of weight lost is now my back, shoulder blade especially on good side started skin redness til readjusted bedding.

Hi, no changes in weight.

I didn't like the regular Roho, but got a Quattro one. Much better on my back. And doen't pitch me forward when I lean over to pick something up. I had a flat in one chamber and just turned the cushion so the flat part was under my thigh, until I got a different one.