Thread: Does anyone have any experience with cataract surgery..?

Does anyone have any experience with cataract surgery..?

Hi, I'm Dennii. My elder brother is 54 years old. He used to wear glasses for years. Now his vision has started becoming worse, so he tried glasses with more power. But he couldn't make out persons and colours even with glasses. He felt like he got some glue on his eyes, halos around the light and blurry vision.We consulted an ophthalmologist in Honolulu and diagnosed that he has got a cataract. The doctor recommended cataract surgery. So we decided to go with surgery. Can anyone help me with suggesting a treatment centre for cataracts in Honolulu? We are not aware of cataract surgery. Is that a curable process?If anyone had any experience with this, I would like to hear from you. Please share it with me.Thank you in advance.

Does your brother have a SCI too? That is the purpose of these forums.

Does the ophthalmologist your brother saw not do cataract surgery? It is one of the most common surgical procedures done by ophthalmology surgeons. If he/she does not do surgery, they should be able to refer your brother to a ophthalmologist who does this. Modern cataract surgery is an outpatient procedure, and generally they do one eye at a time since the patient must wear an eye patch for a couple days post-op. Does your brother have health insurance? Most insurance covers this, although they may not cover the more sophisticated lens implants done as part of this procedure. That is the case for Medicare, which will cover the surgery, but the patient may have to pay extra for the better implants.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

An added question for someone with SCI having cataract surgery: is it ok to do all the normal independent transfers on a daily basis while recovering from the procedure (about 7-11 per day)? The patient is 6'2", weight 185 lb., and leans forward and somewhat down to do a transfer.
    Thanks for any suggestions - he's meeting with surgeon next week, before actually scheduling the procedure.

I had cataract surgery last year and there were strict instructions not to bend forward to where the head is below the level of the heart, not to lift anything over 10 lbs, and not to strain (cough, sneeze, blow nose, throw up, do Valsava maneuvers, etc.) for two weeks postop - this is because the new lens is vulnerable to moving around within the lens capsule during those two weeks. After that period of time, the lens capsule will have begun to seal itself around the new lens, stabilizing it. So I think your friend will need to be extra careful when bending for transfers. It might be a good idea for him to speak with an Occupational Therapist about modifications he might be able to make, in addition to having a thorough discussion with the surgeon about these issues.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

NL had cataract surgery in August and September. We were trying to decide if we needed to hire a caregiver for the first several days after each surgery. I went with her to her first pre-op appointment so that she could show her surgeon exactly what she does to transfer and dress me and explained how she assists in the bowel program. Her surgeon said he saw nothing that she did for my care that she could continue doing and didn't think we needed to hire help. She did lift/pivot transfers the same night after the morning surgery. See was careful not to bend over as much as usual. Each surgery took about 15 minutes and were easy and routine. She is thrilled the the vision she has now. NL had worn mono vision contact lenses for 35+ years and opted to have mono vision implants. She has distance vision in her left eye and close (computer distance and reading) vision in her right eye. NO GLASSES!

Talking to your surgeon and showing him how you self transfer and discussing how you deal with other activities of daily living would be beneficial.
    Last edited by gjnl; 10-26-2018 at 11:09 PM.

Ditto! Fast and easy, recovery is ~two days.
    Nice to have the eye back after 17 years of wearing a thick contact lens. (the biologic lens was damaged in a shop accident and removed so contact was only lens)
    Highly recommended.
    I was released and transferred into my car after surgery (wife drove) and resumed normal activities at once.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ