Thread: Driving from manual chair Armrests?

Driving from manual chair Armrests?

Hey those that drive from Manual chair Do you use armrests? Any other tricks for stability in turns?

Don't use an inside armrest but use the armrest on the driver's door a lot. No real tricks other than using a necker knob and bracing against the drivers door as needed.

i would love to see pics of everyones setup that drive from a manual chair.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

If you are a quad and lack any torso control, armrests will help, especially the one on the inside. The door armrest will provide stability on the outside. It could mean the difference between retaining control under minor circumstances which, without armrests, could escalate into a fender bender or worse.

If one has a chest strap, which typically requires assistance with, then the armrests are less necessary.

One important thing which should not be overlooked is the stress on the joints, especially the shoulder and elbow, resulting from having no support for sustained periods of time. Given a number of years, if not decades, is a sure way to contribute to rotator cuff and other upper extremity maladies.

One thing I suffer from is the damage to my thumb joints resulting from 30+ years of driving with a tri-pin. Now for any drive other than a five or 10 minute local errand, I must use a wrist and thumb brace (called a thumb spica). I would highly recommend it if anybody has a similar problem.

What's anecker knob?

Quote Originally Posted by Sit-N-Fly View Post
    Don't use an inside armrest but use the armrest on the driver's door a lot. No real tricks other than using a necker knob and bracing against the drivers door as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by pete4sake View Post
    What's anecker knob?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brodie_knob

oh we call it a Spinner knob but agree a must i think driving from any chair.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post

I thought about driving my van from my wheelchair. But then I asked myself what happens if I get hit from behind? What is going to prevent my neck from snapping backward and turning me from a para into a quad?