Thread: java backrest

java backrest

anyone using one? i have a varilite icon, that i liked in the begining but hate now. the air feels like it moves when i push back into it. i have a roho agility on my other tr3, best so far. used it for 2 years. hated adi, just not good for my back.
    problem area is ribs on right side.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I do. I hate it. The backrest sides sometimes rub on my ribs when I lean over and I have caused skin sores there. And I also squeaks and moves every time because it's a removable backrest so there's latches and it's not securely mounted. Two different types of brackets because they redesigned it but that doesn't change the fact that its metal-on-metal and when I lean back and lean forward it squeaks. Super annoying. The company can't do anything about it either

fuente,
    I'm surprised the Icon feels that way. I've used one with very little air in it and found I could lean into it very heavily and it remained comfortable. Personally, I'm not a fan of the Java back. Have you looked at the Matrx MX2 carbon back?

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    fuente,
    I'm surprised the Icon feels that way. I've used one with very little air in it and found I could lean into it very heavily and it remained comfortable. Personally, I'm not a fan of the Java back. Have you looked at the Matrx MX2 carbon back?
    ive only use it filled up totally with air to get relief on my ribs. i will look at that mx2. thx much
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I've used a Java for a few years and it suits me well. The depth gives me the lateral stability that I need and the top edge is low enough to not irritate my scapula, which are sensitive for some reason.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Java back rest. yeah squeaks like crazy, the foam compresses over time till you pretty much have no cushioning. had 2 the first one was faulty and the rubber that is supposed to protect you from the metal edges came off both in the first month on both, gave up on it now.

Don't over tighten the bolts as the proprietary nuts they use can't take it and just split, my PT & DME made has made it through half a dozen of their nuts.

I took the air bladder out of my ICON and put it inside the sleeve and it fits perfectly, so it's like an upgraded ICON now, no slot for the valve, so you have to take it all apart to adjust it, but works well for me.

Being able to bend the metal back so you can have it molded how you like is a nice feature.

Still rocking it till I find a better option.