Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ti lite tr

ti lite tr

we were cleaning the wheels as lots of junk with micheal got left wheel off cleaned but can not get right wheel off it just won.t release

called sport aid they said take that nut off behind wheel . I little nervous about that was gonna call ti lite yesterday but got swamped at office

any ideas

Blog Entries
    Does the axle pin button push in? If not, I'd tap it a few times with a rubber mallet. If it does push in, I'd push it in and tap on the back of the hub with a rubber mallet while it's pushed in.
    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Does the axle pin button push in? If not, I'd tap it a few times with a rubber mallet. If it does push in, I'd push it in and tap on the back of the hub with a rubber mallet while it's pushed in.
    the button pushes in it just wont pull off

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    the button pushes in it just wont pull off
    You can tap the opposite end of the axle with a tack hammer while pushing on the button. It would be best if you have some rust penetration fluid to use first and let it soak. What has probably happened is that those two bb sized balls at the far end of the axle are failing to drop into the axle cavity thus preventing it from sliding out. You need to get them to slip out of the way. That is what pushing on the button does, but yours seem to be stuck.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Lay the chair on the stuck wheel and pour some WD40 or any (rust) penetrating oil down into the axle tube so it will pool on the stuck axle pin.
    Give it some time,

Then proceed as above
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

I doubt it is the detent balls on the quick release axle. I suspect it is a tolerance issue caused by corrosion or a small scratch on the surface of the axle. On a rigid frame chair with a camber tube, it can be difficult to simultaneously hold the button in and effectively apply force in the opposite direction. Hitting the ideal strike point is usually impossible because of obstructions and much of the force that's applied is dissapated.

While wheel spacing and toe would need to adjusted, it would be easier to get the axle out by sliding the camber tube out of the frame, then dealing with the stuck wheel.

Once the axle is removed, insert it in a drill and polish it with Scotch Brite, steel wool, or 400+ grit wet/dry sandpaper until the entire axle easily slides in and out of the axle sleeve.

Yeah, the axle and or sleeve can and do get gunked up causing your problem. Whatever the issue the solution remains tapping it out. Since this is not a folder like I was thinking, you can reach the far end with an dowel through the opposite axle sleeve. Tap the dowel while holding the button down and pulling on the hub of course at the same time. A third hand might help.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

will try that then clean with alchol and get some steel wool and really clean. we have so much sand and I have been riding a lot down canal which is hard pack sand thank you

Riding down the canal sounds like fun. Hope you get this resolved soon.

Be careful about hitting the end of the axle. Tried that once at work and punched out the flat button, spring, and everything else at the other end. Since the problem was actually the surface of the axle itself, it didn't even solve the problem.

The chair I was trialing was a PDG Elevation.It used a shorter than usual axle and sleeve which I didn't have in our store room. Fortunately, I was able to replace the OEM axle sleeves with sleeves from an Invacare ProSpin. That allowed me to use a more standard length quick release axle.

Had it not been for those spare ProSpin parts, it would have been difficult to get to my car to go home.