Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Build an Off Road Wheelchair (From 2 Electric Bikes)

How to Build an Off Road Wheelchair (From 2 Electric Bikes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3_mVryqXpU&t=20s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6kJOXr3HzA&t=0s

Id do a few things differently but I thought this was pretty cool !

Very cool. I like anything made from off-the-shelf non-disabled equipment. Would definitely need an easier way to transfer into it though.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I really need to learn how to weld!

(And scurl, I tried to send you a private message about another subject, but you have chosen not to receive pms...I’m not sure if that’s deliberate or not!)
    Last edited by Gordy1; 10-19-2018 at 07:46 AM.
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Much more difficult in Europe where ebikes are pedal assist no throttle permitted and typically with a motor that the crank arms fit to. Bikes are pedal assist so you have to be pedalling to start motor support.

Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    Much more difficult in Europe where ebikes are pedal assist no throttle permitted and typically with a motor that the crank arms fit to. Bikes are pedal assist so you have to be pedalling to start motor support.
    All true, but if you purchased two “cheap” fat bikes (with no electrics), and two rear hub fat bike wheel kits from China, it can be done....
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    I really need to learn how to weld!

(And scurl, I tried to send you a private message about another subject, but you have chosen not to receive pms...I’m not sure if that’s deliberate or not!)
    Hey Gordy yeah I had no idea it was on . BTW would this maybe be the Gordy I played rugby with when II wasn't old and slow

Quote Originally Posted by scurl View Post
    Hey Gordy yeah I had no idea it was on . BTW would this maybe be the Gordy I played rugby with when II wasn't old and slow
    Well last time I played rugby I was 16 years old at school in Edinburgh...unless you mean Touch, in which case I did play in Perth for a few years...until I realised I was too old and slow! But I am a big FORCE supporter!

I’ll try sending you a PM.

All true, but if you purchased two “cheap” fat bikes (with no electrics), and two rear hub fat bike wheel kits from China, it can be done....
    Or just buy a purpose built off road chair like a Boma or Quadrix

Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    Or just buy a purpose built off road chair like a Boma or Quadrix
    Sure, if we had a spare GBP8775 + VAT!!!! (Price cut and pasted from a UK Boma sales website...can’t believe how expensive they are!!!!)

Price for 2 cheap manual fat bikes = less than GBP 1000 (or significantly less if secondhand)
    Price for 2 ebike kits, including batteries = less than GBP 1000
    Plus a bit more for the rest of it....
    Plus the satisfaction of DIY...priceless!!! �� (Edit...my smilies don’t work, why do yours?!?)

Sure, if we had a spare GBP8775 + VAT!!!! (Price cut and pasted from a UK Boma sales website...can’t believe how expensive they are!!!!)

Price for 2 cheap manual fat bikes = less than GBP 1000 (or significantly less if secondhand)
    Price for 2 ebike kits, including batteries = less than GBP 1000
    Plus a bit more for the rest of it....
    Plus the satisfaction of DIY...priceless!!! ��

Even cheaper for me, I've worked in the UK bike industry for almost 30 years

DIY isn't that easy paralysed from the neck down so buying an off road chair was my only option. It was needed for my job (I work for a mountain bike company) so Access to Work funded 5/7ths. We are all different and I need chin control and a steering system which would be difficult to add.