Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
I like this.

Doctoring is mostly delaying the inevitable (death) as long as possible. Nowadays we as a society have figured out how to cure the easy stuff (bacterial infections) that used to kill most people and figured out how to manage some of the nastier viral infections (immunizations) and prevent a lot of both of those in the first place (sanitation, clean water, public healthy), so what we're left with is all of the chronic diseases (high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, COPD, etc).

So much of doctoring is just trying to bring someone's blood pressure down a few points, or lower their blood glucose, or decrease the number of hospitalizations for a COPD exacerbation from 3 a year to 2 a year, all of which forestall death just a little bit longer. Unless you're an infectious disease doctor there's not much to be "cured".

Surely there will be a cure for the simple stuff like type 2 diabetes or atherosclerosis or HIV long before SCI. Those are all infinitely simple and extraordinarily well understood diseases in comparison to regrowing and reattaching correctly each of one billion individual nerves in the broken spinal cord.
Well. . . I was diagnosed with chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) in 2014. I was in "watch and wait" (active observation) for 3 years until I began to present symptoms (occasional night sweats). I was treated with a combination of novel (non-chemo) agents and got a complete remission. Am I cured? Only time will tell but even if I relapse it should be pretty easy to get me back to remission.