Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reality about cure of SCI

And here come a whole lot more worldwide:

https://www.cdc.gov/acute-flaccid-my...veillance.html

Resembles what I had at 12.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post

Whereas, this Renetx stuff is a pharmalogical blockade with antibodies against the Nogo receptor. It would make sense to combine Chondroitinase with a NoGo Trap therapeutic. Basically it's signalling protein on neuron receptors.

(KO of the PTEN gene required no Chondroitinase to quickly grow rivers of axons over CSPG). Axons on steroids....
    Thanks Grammy, that really helps with understanding the differences. I'd tried to read the PTEN gene study, but it was far too complicated for me to even understand the odd sentance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Maybe.

Throughout the body, nerves repair just fine. It's only in the spinal cord and brain that they do not repair themselves. In rats, a recent study deleted a single dna sequence and nerve regrowth was restored in those rats' spinal cords.

If there's going to be a near-term "cure" for SCI it's going to be something like this. Even then, once new nerves grow and reconnect you're essentially a funking 9 month old baby learning to move its limbs again...LOTS of PT if you're ever going to relearn those connections from scratch.
    I used to send articles to my Dr. about Rats being cured. His answer was "too bad your not a lab rat".
    ^^(A)^^

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Maybe.

Throughout the body, nerves repair just fine. It's only in the spinal cord and brain that they do not repair themselves. In rats, a recent study deleted a single dna sequence and nerve regrowth was restored in those rats' spinal cords.

If there's going to be a near-term "cure" for SCI it's going to be something like this. Even then, once new nerves grow and reconnect you're essentially a funking 9 month old baby learning to move its limbs again...LOTS of PT if you're ever going to relearn those connections from scratch.
    Not necessarily from scratch since a strong synchrony between CNS maturation and structural or anatomical development already exists. Essentially, you are re-training a fully developed CNS (including brain) that already has complex motor patterns ingrained in the system. Effective activation sequencing coupled with a comprehensive training program should significantly bend the learning curve.
    Know Thyself

Quote Originally Posted by darty View Post
    I used to send articles to my Dr. about Rats being cured. His answer was "too bad your not a lab rat".
    Rats get all the love.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

My son said it the best way I could ever explain it! When God is ready for me to walk I will! Who can argue with that! If you?re a smart person with negative opinions I suggest you keep them to yourself!