Thread: Funding wheelchair accessible medical tests

Blog Entries

Funding wheelchair accessible medical tests

So my eye doctor wants to do a test but I can get close enough to the machine. Does anyone have any advice about finding doctors with accessible equipment generally, or an ophthalmologist in central New Jersey in particular?

It is a violation of the ADA for a physician not to make reasonable accommodations for you. This might not really matter to an ophthalmologist who is running a private practice (if such a beast even exists in this day and age), but it will sure matter to a large university affiliated hospital.

If your doctor isn't already, find yourself an ophthalmologist who is associated with a large hospital system, go and establish care with him. If he doesn't have accessible equipment, ask him what can be done so you can get the test you need. If he says no, thank him (or her), then go and call the hospital's patient liaison or better yet their accessibility office and tell them something along the lines of this.

"Her Mrs. SoandSo I see Dr. Eyedoc and at my visit today we realized this test I need to have isn't possible because Dr. Eyedoc's equipment isn't accessible. I was surprised, because I know how wonderful SuchandSo Hospital System is and that not having accessible equipment is a violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act, I'd hate for the hospital to get in trouble for something like this. I'm sure you've run into things like this in the past, what can we do about it?"

An individual doctor might not be sufficiently motivated to get you what you are entitled to by law, but a big ole hospital system with a gaggle of lawyers and malpractice insurance adjusters sure will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    So my eye doctor wants to do a test but I can get close enough to the machine. Does anyone have any advice about finding doctors with accessible equipment generally, or an ophthalmologist in central New Jersey in particular?
    Not sure if you are trying to get a specialty exam from this ophthalmologist (physician), or a general eye exam. I have used an optometrist for years and at my last two exams, he did all the tests "by hand" as I was no longer able to either get into the chair or even get my wheelchair close to the machines. My husband, also in a chair, recently had an optometrist come to our home (we are patients of Visiting Physicians Association) to do an eye exam. He brought all of his equipment in cases, doing the entire, complete exam without using the device used in an office setting - which is not really accessible for someone in a wheelchair.

My ophthalmologist has a larger room and an exam chair that moves back and out of the way on tracks so I can position my chair in it's place. He does a lot of cataract surgery (older patients who may have mobility issues) and when he moved to a new office, built this accommodation into the space remodel.