Thread: Bladder spasms with foley

Bladder spasms with foley

So, ive tried a couple of things. My question... Should the tube go over the top or out the bottom of my underwear? I think the pressure is causing my spasm.

I've always run it out the bottom.

Are you taking an anticholenergic medication like Ditropan, Detrol, etc.? This can help to prevent or reduce bladder spasm with an indwelling catheter.

Are you securing the catheter to prevent it pistoning in/out of your urethra? If not, doing so will reduce the irritation to your bladder that is causing spasm.

Damage to the urethra from an indwelling urethral catheter in men can be reduced by positioning the penis upwards towards the abdomen, although few people actually do this.

Lots of men with SCI avoid the use of underwear and go commando. This avoids the need to apply/remove another item of clothing, and avoids any problems with underwear seams or wrinkles causing skin problems.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Thanks. I think the problem was a new type of bag. I had the drainage set up incorrectly with the flow. When i was draining, id have big spasms and urine flowing outside of the tube. I think the vacuum effect was too strong. Now its fine. Going out top. At least today has been ok

New equipment can always be troubling. Glad to hear that you are better.
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.