Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ghetto-Portable stair lift

I'm puzzled why you don't leave the chair on the rail 24/7 and let it stay charged on it's home stations. You must be pretty strong to even consider hauling and placing the chair on the track just to go downstairs every time.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Tenants need to go down the hole to do laundry. I just need it to do some boiler work and checking around. Totally temporary need. I got a guy to haul it around so that isn't really too much of an issue. If it wasn't an apartment building, yeah, it would probably be a permanent install, but that stairway needs to be clear

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Tenants need to go down the hole to do laundry. I just need it to do some boiler work and checking around. Totally temporary need. I got a guy to haul it around so that isn't really too much of an issue. If it wasn't an apartment building, yeah, it would probably be a permanent install, but that stairway needs to be clear
    Ah, that makes sense. Back when you posted your drone fly around the neighborhood video it looked like a single family house.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Behold, version 2 of the track setup. The thought did cross my mind to put the 4th footing on also, but only after getting the mess on the stairs. And by then I was not too enthusiastic to muck around with this even more. The transfer up top is where strength is needed, on the bottom I will have room to be more gentle so the flexing doesn't scare me. So for now I'm claiming that the more vertical angle will aid with twisting forces, and the shorter span and extra footing should really make it solid. Yeah, that's the ticket!

There is also a bonus 1x3? at the bottom to address any sliding issues, this thing is getting fancy!

Pretty sore from yesterday, so just the track was completed today. Testing for function will be next week during my next 'weekend'
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thoroughly entertaining thread. Thank you!

"Good Luck!" Might be easier to just get a jetpack!

A little update...I did get that last 4th footing on the rail. All the way at the bottom, sits direct on the concrete. Reason being is that the test pilot found that the entire thing would still tip with the seat all the way at the bottom. So as of now, it works good for the test dummy/pilot, lol.

As far as working for me, not so much. I stuck a bow saw tooth through the sidewall of my tire the last day we were working on this (only the best precision tools used here). So I was not too enthusiastic to try this out myself with a busted-ass wheelchair in tow. Then it has been rather cold, my arm hurts, etc, etc, etc. I'm sure in the coming weeks it will get above 30F on my days off for me to give it a whirl. I'll post results...