Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DME pricing

No, I didn't ask the supplier what cash price was because my insurance paid for this one. It's goetten to the point where one can't trust anyone regarding true prices now a days.

Quote Originally Posted by automation View Post
    This sort of "creative pricing" seems to be commonplace throughout the Medical industry. E.g., doctor/hospital bills $400 for blood work -- then "accepts" the $7 (that's a seven, not seventy) dollars allowed by insurance. So, what's happening to the other $393?

I suspect (pure SWAG, there) that they can write the $393 off as a loss, of sorts (?).

As to your $22K -> $4K ... maybe the initial figure is deliberately inflated (and why isn't that called FRAUD??) on the assumption that it will be covered at a 20% rate (?)
    [If so, why not inflate it to $50K and get the $9995 that they were originally expecting?]

Something obviously broken with The System when this sort of thing is tolerated/encouraged!

[Did you ask the supplier what their "cash" price would be, had you not had any insurance?]
    Write off any profit with these "losses" and pay little to no tax. And people get pissed at the Trump/Kushner real estate tax schemes while demanding that everyone support the medical industry schemers via "Obamacare", etc. Oh yeah, then there is the medical industry hobby of having their on-staff lawyers sue anyone into oblivion that has the misfortune to not be carrying insurance with an agreement to not be sued for the overcharges.

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    Shit! I offered ca$h to my DME, when I got my (3rd chair in 23 years!) aluminum Medicare chair, for him to also order me a titanium frame of the same dimensions too. I have all the accoutrements to take from my 2005 chair that cracked and create a new (for me) Ti chair.
    WTF! Wouldn't even quote q price!

Why can't I buy this??
    This is distressing. As a teenager, my vehicle was vandalized (side window broken to gain entry). I called local glass company looking to get the window replaced, ASAP (winter in New England is not the time of year you want to be driving around with an open window!).

The nice young lady wanted to know if I had glass coverage. "I don't know (I surely don't want to run around chasing down an insurance policy before I can arrange to have my window CLOSED!)"

She wouldn't give me a price. Exasperated, I finally said, "Which is cheaper: with or without insurance coverage?"

"Without."

"Great! Then I don't have coverage. Now, how much is it going to cost me?"

There needs to be an TENTH circle of Hell for these folks!

This is distressing. As a teenager, my vehicle was vandalized (side window broken to gain entry). I called local glass company looking to get the window replaced, ASAP (winter in New England is not the time of year you want to be driving around with an open window!).

The nice young lady wanted to know if I had glass coverage. "I don't know (I surely don't want to run around chasing down an insurance policy before I can arrange to have my window CLOSED!)"

She wouldn't give me a price. Exasperated, I finally said, "Which is cheaper: with or without insurance coverage?"

"Without."

Took me a while but with help with big words I gots it all read up today!
    Hear ya on window. Had been to dentist in middle of ice/snow storm a few winters back for a root canal.
    Mama had tried to clear passenger front window by rolling it down. Well no one usually up tp passenger side in van hence window usually never opened. As soon as she hit power down button a pop and window fell in door frame.
    Stopped first glass shop. Not fix unless replace motor and track that it comes in a complete unit at cost with install over $1,000. Plus it had to be ordered and be at least a week before they could get one from warehouse. I ask them to just get glass back in place and block it closed since we have no garage that a Sprinter SHR van will fit inside.
    This shop said could not do that, it was not safe and insurance didn't cover that type of work. I told him not interested in insurance, just wanted closed so no snow piled up inside. BTW" We had glass replacement/repair on insurance but he never ask.

Second shop told guy up front not interested in anything but window blocked closed to keep weather out. He said no problem that in this weather he completely understood. He charged $25 and said he noticed while had door opened up that was just a piece of plastic that held track to arm on motor. He said he unplugged power to both passenger and driver side control buttons to prevent accidental accidents.
    He ask if like him to look up cost of replacement of that part it needed so know when weather cleared up to get it fixed. He looked it up and seemed surprised could not get just that plastic roller connector but had buy whole unit including motor, but cost for whole unit with installed be $325.
    Been a few years ago, still never got unit replaced. No one sits over there, so see no need for it.

My independent DME just got bought up by National Seating and Mobility about 6 months ago.
    Art

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Stating the bleedin' obvious I know.
    But this seems like a huge scam being driven by the insurance companies.

They charge you a crazy premium for insurance.
    You need to make a claim for a new window... they go out of their way to show you the paper work of how they covered your new window, which they are being billed $1000 for so you have have to make a co -pay of (for arguements sake) 5% so $50.
    Then in the background out of your sight... they've negotiated a deal with the window company where they pay $45 for a new window.
    You go to the window company and ask for a cash price and they quote you $65.
    Meanwhile they increase their dividends on their stock.

All we really need is transparent pricing.... like in the old days how their would be cash price for gas and a credit card price.. so you could see directly how much using your credit card was really costing you, before all this money back, points bollocks.

"Without."

Quote Originally Posted by Art454 View Post
    My independent DME just got bought up by National Seating and Mobility about 6 months ago.
    Sincerely I am so sorry!
    I miss our independent DME SOOOOOOOOOOOOO badly! Get Demo pick chair within a few weeks chair delivered!!! Longest ever waited was for Bounder H-Frames, but they sent e-mail pictures of those being built and get approval of switch boxes placement along the way.

Same with national company that bought independent lift shop. Old Tech fix problem day you got appointment. If needed parts they most always had in stock.
    Now it takes weeks get appointment, charge large amounts for lift come out same as went in and even if parts are in stock you get charged for shipping costs.

I was very lucky that members of this forum gave me instructions on fixing it or more than likely still be broken down.

So far they still have all the same people yet. Even the original owner still runs it. But for how long? Of course they raised there price to 140 a hour.
    Was 100 a hour before National bought it.
    Art

Quote Originally Posted by Art454 View Post
    So far they still have all the same people yet. Even the original owner still runs it. But for how long? Of course they raised there price to 140 a hour.
    Was 100 a hour before National bought it.
    The one that took over our old DME here had the original Tech staff about 6 months and owner was a Manager for little less than a year.

So, these "buy ups" beg the question:
    Are "independents" selling out because they are "struggling" (can't make ends meet)?
    or
    Are the chains offering very lucrative "deals" to the owners?