Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AD episode, I think, but no change in blood pressure.

ok so I bought the blood pressure machine. I've done about 3 readings and now its telling me I'm 93/60 wtf. thats pretty low. so I guess I was having AD? or is it just low now? earlier you said it's common for high level sci to have around 80, but mine was 120 few days ago (which is normal for regular people), or was it very high from my baseline? hmmm thats the question.

edit: maybe Ill call my doctors office tomorrow and see what my blood pressure has been the past couple of visits. Im curious now what my baselines really is.
    Last edited by Imight; 10-16-2018 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    I wonder if my sister was misdiagnosed.

Whatever's going on, Imight, I hope you are feeling better and that it won't happen again.
    nah I feel fine now. i 'cleared' my bowels (ended up drinking 1/3 the bottle just to get it all out) and most symptoms are gone now. no more cramps, no more spastic legs, no more dizzy.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Autonomic dysfunction in persons with SCI is generally not something that occurs in "attacks" but is persistent following the injury. It is responsible for problems with temperature regulation, orthostatic hypotension (low blood pressure when sitting or standing), and for some, decreased bowel motility, and sometimes decreased ability of the heart to increase heartbeat rate in response to heavy exercise.

(KLD)
    the symptoms you wrote are quite common indeed. but can it kill me?

I am not quite sure what you are referring to. Autonomic dysfunction, by itself does not tend to kill people unless you ignore the signs and don't do anything about it. For example, low blood pressure will generally not kill you unless it gets too low - 40/0. Bt if you ignore the dizziness, it can be annoying and certainly is not healthy since the organs are not getting enough blood.

I hope that this helps some.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I am not quite sure what you are referring to. Autonomic dysfunction, by itself does not tend to kill people unless you ignore the signs and don't do anything about it. For example, low blood pressure will generally not kill you unless it gets too low - 40/0. Bt if you ignore the dizziness, it can be annoying and certainly is not healthy since the organs are not getting enough blood.

I hope that this helps some.

ckf
    oh ok. the autonomic dysfunction im used too, i know how to deal with the dizziness, i just lay prone on my bed with my head up as if im watching tv and it goes away pretty quick.

i guess now its a matter of figuring out my base and knowing when im too high or too low. earlier i stayed 93 (normal 90 degree dining chair), but in my wheelchair it was in the 80s and standing up it was literally normal reading of an AB 110. this is very interesting, since I have the ability to stand and do more functions, it fluctuates. in a couple of hours ill ask my doctors what their average reading is and get a better idea. i just want to know when im too high and should start to get concerned. should i start reading it from 80? 90s? 110? that i dont know.

didnt see this. thanks bonnette. hope all is well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    I wonder if my sister was misdiagnosed.

Whatever's going on, Imight, I hope you are feeling better and that it won't happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by Imight View Post
    didnt see this. thanks bonnette. hope all is well.
    All is well, Imight, and I'm really glad to hear that you feel fine now.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

You might find that you don't have a consistent base line. My support workers take my BP 4 times a day and it is never consistent. Range is from 220/110 during an AD episode to 55/40 when I first get into the chair. "Normal" is anything from 80/50 to 120/80. Anywhere in that range I'm happy with.