Thread: Menopause and SCI

Menopause and SCI

I am almost 48 and I think I may be in the beginning stages of menopause.
    I go to the Doctor soon but I was wondering what to expect. My symptoms these days are that
    I get really over heated when it is not hot (so im thinking hot flash) but and I am
    assuming with a SCI I may not sweat because nothing is hurting. To me this could be just
    as bad or the same as getting too hot when outside. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Sadly, there is little or no research on menopause in women with SCI/D.

Hot flashes are still possible, but most likely the sweating will be limited to above you level of injury. I would caution against the use of oral estrogen as this can increase the risks for the development of DVT (deep vein thrombosis) for which you are already at risk due to your SCI/D. Vaginal estrogen may be an option if you have problems with vaginal dryness and thinning of mucosa. Talk to your physician about options for symptom management.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

It's time to begin keeping watch on your bone density. Suggest to your doctor getting one soon and that will be your baseline, against which you can compare in the future as your change moves along. We are already at risk and it gets worse with the loss of hormones.

A bone density is a good idea. Menopause was not bad for me but I have some friends who felt like they were drowning from sweat an heat. Depending on your level of injury you might feel the same way. Sad to say that there is not much out there on this issue in women with SCI. I would stay away from hormones if at all possible - you don't need to add to your risk of dvt. But, before you make any decisions, talk to your physician and see what they would recommend.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.