Thread: HighTorso Rigidity

HighTorso Rigidity

My injury level is c6-7. I am getting stiffer and stiffer in my upper body. I'm able to loosen up a little bit during the day by the end of the night. I go to bed and start the whole thing over the next day. Extremely tight in the morning and my upper torso. My body is pulling me to my left. This morning I sat in the hot shower and was just miserable. My torso was clenching and would not relax.

It also tightens up when I eat food. I have a baclofen pump and does not seem to help this at all. There has got to be some way to get relief from this. It's getting ridiculous. My body is starting to twist like I have cerebral palsy.

Klonopin or clonazepam

For years after my injury my legs would jump at night and wake me up. I work full-time and I need a good night of sleep. I mention this to my doctor and he put me on 2mg of klonopin at night to reduce the muscle spasms and muscle tightness. I am injured at C6 which goes through the hands and klonopin has also reduce spasms in my hand for me to do functional work. It has worked wonders!

From my understanding baclofen is used for nerve pain not muscle tightness.

Talk to your doctor about klonopin and see if that helps you or any other muscle relaxant medicines that may help.

I've been on it for over plus 25 years now.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Baclofen, either oral or intrathecal, is actually used more for spasticity (hypertonicity of muscles) than it is for neuropathic pain.

Unfortunately most often the baclofen pump catheter is placed in the lower thoracic or lumbar part of the cord, and the baclofen does not do much for upper trunk or arm spasticity. You may want to talk to the physician who placed your pump about considering moving the catheter up higher in your spinal cord. Many are reluctant to do this as there is considerable risk of making your breathing muscles too weak with high placement, so you may need to get 1-2 other opinions from surgeons who are expert in such placement.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post
    For years after my injury my legs would jump at night and wake me up. I work full-time and I need a good night of sleep. I mention this to my doctor and he put me on 2mg of klonopin at night to reduce the muscle spasms and muscle tightness. I am injured at C6 which goes through the hands and klonopin has also reduce spasms in my hand for me to do functional work. It has worked wonders!

From my understanding baclofen is used for nerve pain not muscle tightness.

Talk to your doctor about klonopin and see if that helps you or any other muscle relaxant medicines that may help.

I've been on it for over plus 25 years now.

Ti
    Maybe an oral med at night might help. A few years ago, I tried Valium, but ended up havin really crazy dreams That actually made things worse.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Baclofen, either oral or intrathecal, is actually used more for spasticity (hypertonicity of muscles) than it is for neuropathic pain.

Unfortunately most often the baclofen pump catheter is placed in the lower thoracic or lumbar part of the cord, and the baclofen does not do much for upper trunk or arm spasticity. You may want to talk to the physician who placed your pump about considering moving the catheter up higher in your spinal cord. Many are reluctant to do this as there is considerable risk of making your breathing muscles too weak with high placement, so you may need to get 1-2 other opinions from surgeons who are expert in such placement.

(KLD)
    Is there a lifespan on a catheter? I know they can do a test to see if there are any leaks.

Catheters usually last longer than the pump itself, but they can get damaged, kinked, or plugged by scar tissue.

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 10-14-2018 at 02:57 AM.
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.