Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hand Controls on the Right??

How do you shift into reverse and apply brake at the same time? Easy to do with left hand controls - left hand brakes and right hand shifts gear? What do you do with right right controls?

I drive with righthand mounted controls (in Europe) and never have any problem requesting them when I rent a car in North America.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    How do you shift into reverse and apply brake at the same time? Easy to do with left hand controls - left hand brakes and right hand shifts gear? What do you do with right right controls?
    Yes, it is tricker but like most things in life, you adapt.

With the Menox controls there's a rocker switch on the brake so you can hold the brake on while at a stoplight, switching into reverse, etc.

Right hand brakes and left hand shifts. It is more awkward, but doable.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by jayslx1 View Post
    I'm left handed and preferred the throttle / brake with my right hand, so I use Wells Engberg CP200Right
    Bad news, I just checked out Wells Engberg website since I use their controls also, CT100, rotary-push type. They appear to have ceased operations as of 10/15/18.
    http://www.wellsengberg.com/
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Right hand brakes and left hand shifts. It is more awkward, but doable.
    That means no hand on the steering wheel. Not good. It makes it awkward to do a 3-point turn and impossible to drive a semi-automatic transmission in manual mode, which is all the fun in a BMW.
    Last edited by August West; Today at 04:13 AM.

That means no hand on the steering wheel. Not good. It makes it awkward to do a 3-point turn and impossible to drive a semi-automatic transmission in manual mode, which is all the fun in a BMW.
    Don't want a semi automatic or a BMW for that matter.

BTW which hand do you have on the steering wheel? You said you have one on the brake and the other on the gear shift:
    ... Easy to do with left hand controls - left hand brakes and right hand shifts gear?...
    Back when I was a kid and my dad lit his cigs with a paper match. To do that while driving he steered with his left knee, used his hands to strike the match and light up.