Thread: Flying with medical equipment

Flying with medical equipment

When possible, I travel with my Molift 150, which, when flying, I carry in the hard luggage case. Because it is medical equipment there is no charge by the airline. There is some space inside the case. Am I allowed to pack medical supplies inside as well, or is it limited strictly to medical equipment?

Anymore when possible I like to ship supplies to the hotel (either from home, or Amazon), as disposable pads, gloves, and wipes can be bulky, but it'd save some $ to be able to stuff them in the lift case. I always pack my meds, catheters, and chair charger in my carry-on.

Medical supplies (catheters, lube, gloves, Chux, etc.) are included as long as they are packed only with other medical equipment/supplies, so it sounds like you are good to go with your plan. Best to gate-check it rather than check at the curb or check-in desk.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

when i fly i put my nebulizer in my vest bag along with all my meds if i can fit them. i also have an ostomy so i carry those supplies in a backpack so anything i can't fit in my vest carryon go in my backpack. i DO NOT CHECK EITHER BAG as if they get lost i am out of luck. now i am also on O2 at night so i arrange with where i am going to have everything delivered to my hotel ahead of time and usually my O2 company does that as long as i give them the required info. there most times is no extra cost as that is covered under insurance.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Smashms View Post
    when i fly i put my nebulizer in my vest bag along with all my meds if i can fit them. i also have an ostomy so i carry those supplies in a backpack so anything i can't fit in my vest carryon go in my backpack. i DO NOT CHECK EITHER BAG as if they get lost i am out of luck. now i am also on O2 at night so i arrange with where i am going to have everything delivered to my hotel ahead of time and usually my O2 company does that as long as i give them the required info. there most times is no extra cost as that is covered under insurance.

One is never out of luck if items are lost or damaged or delayed...just buy more and the airlines by law has to pay for it.

With that said if you cant live with out something for a day do take it on board and store over head.

We flew in the Orange county to spend a few days in Disneyland and my suitcase was lost with my charger so we flew in in the evening so we found a scooter rental shop that delivered a new charger the next day so had to push back Disneyland one day so I had a full charge.

Landrover you items do not need to be packed separate but you may need to open it to show you have supplies packed.

One can also ship to the hotel just notify the hotel you have things coming prior to checking in.

Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post
    One is never out of luck if items are lost or damaged or delayed...just buy more and the airlines by law has to pay for it.
    most of the time you cannot survive a day without medical supplies. as in this case we are not talking clothes or a toothbrush we are talking medical supplies which are not just something you can go to a drug store to pick up.
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 10-14-2018 at 12:13 PM.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Smashms View Post
    most of the time you cannot survive a day without medical supplies. as in this case we are not talking clothes or a toothbrush we are talking medical supplies which are not just something you can go to a drug store to pick up.
    This is especially true if you are flying to a foreign destination. Even within the USA, finding a supplier, and supplies that may require a prescription, especially on a weekend or holiday, can be a nightmare.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.