Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: UTI catheter change

No, I hadn't seriously considered a supra pubic catheter, as the indwelling one has worked well for me. I'm also not that keen on having invasive procedures done on me, unless it's absolutely necessary. I have had so much surgery during my life, so avoid it whenever possible.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I totally understand your feelings about surgery. Just so you know, the suprapubic tends to lead to less complications than an indwelling and the procedure is fairly minor. That being said, it does have some risks, but mot people seem to like it a lot.
    Not trying to push you either way - just providing some basic information.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Thank you ckf for your comments. What are some of the risks you speak of? Not that I'm considering having it done at the moment, but I like to be informed if I ever went down that path.

I currently use a leg bag attached to my leg, just inside the knee, which works well for me. Do you still use a leg bag with a supra pubic, and if so, where does it sit? I'm guessing on my upper thigh, but that would look bulky under my skirt?

I have a flabby tummy, so wouldn't want anything that would sit on my stomach and make me feel uncomfortable.
    Last edited by janne; Today at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by janne View Post
    Thank you ckf for your comments. What are some of the risks you speak of? Not that I'm considering having it done at the moment, but I like to be informed if I ever went down that path.

I currently use a leg bag attached to my leg, just inside my knee, which works well for me. Do you still use a leg bag with a supra pubic, and if so, where does it sit? I'm guessing on my upper thigh, but that would look bulky under my skirt?

I have a flabby tummy, so wouldn't want anything that would sit on my stomach and make me feel uncomfortable.
    The two biggest risks that I see for an indwelling urethral catheter in women is (1) more frequent bladder infections because the female urethra is short, bacteria can migrate into the bladder quickly and (2) urethral erosion.

While the leg bag can be worn on the thigh, it facilitates drainage if the leg bag is worn on the leg, below the knee. The catheter is attached to extension tubing and the extension tubing is attached to the leg bag.

Before the surgery, it is customary to meet with a stoma nurse to decide the best placement of the stoma. The surgery takes only minutes and is most usually done with a puncture tool rather than a surgical incision. Generally, there are no stitches needed. If the surgery doesn't work, it is reversible, in that the stoma will heal quickly when the catheter is removed and other methods of bladder management could be employed.

Thanks for the explanation gjnl, and that seems to have answered my questions.

I'll be interested to learn what the nurse says about the risks involved with a supra pubic too.

Do you have one, and if so, do you find it easy to care for?

Quote Originally Posted by janne View Post
    Thanks for the explanation gjnl, and that seems to have answered my questions.

I'll be interested to learn what the nurse says about the risks involved with a supra pubic too.

Do you have one, and if so, do you find it easy to care for?
    I've had a supra pubic catheter for 6-7 years. I use Microcyn instillations once per day. I have had not urinary tract infections in years. Before the supra pubic, I had am indwelling urethral catheter. I am a male.

The supra pubic is very easy to care for. Clean the stoma/catheter tube twice per day.