Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portland + Vegas

Portland + Vegas

It's quite a bit in the distance, with a trip already planned in between, but it looks like I'll be headed to Portland for a few days, and then to Vegas for a few more in late August. The reason for trips to both cities is because I have a $200 credit on Alaska Air, along with a companion ticket for $100. My original intent was to leave from JFK, and fly direct to Vegas, but Alaska will be discontinuing direct flights. So in order to use my credit and fly Alaska to Vegas, I first must stop in Portland (although LA and San Fran were also options). So I decided since Portland was on my list, I would stay a few days (fly in Wednesday/out Sat), then fly to Vegas (flying out the following Wednesday, direct, on another airline). I've tentatively booked stays at the Kimpton Monaco in Portland, and the Palazzo. I did communicate with the Palazzo about them making any necessary accommodations re: the bed/lift.

I understand accessibility in Portland is quite good, but would I need a van to visit the falls and surrounding areas?

Are the amount of days in each location adequate (I know more is always better)?

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    It's quite a bit in the distance, with a trip already planned in between, but it looks like I'll be headed to Portland for a few days, and then to Vegas for a few more in late August. The reason for trips to both cities is because I have a $200 credit on Alaska Air, along with a companion ticket for $100. My original intent was to leave from JFK, and fly direct to Vegas, but Alaska will be discontinuing direct flights. So in order to use my credit and fly Alaska to Vegas, I first must stop in Portland (although LA and San Fran were also options). So I decided since Portland was on my list, I would stay a few days (fly in Wednesday/out Sat), then fly to Vegas (flying out the following Wednesday, direct, on another airline). I've tentatively booked stays at the Kimpton Monaco in Portland, and the Palazzo. I did communicate with the Palazzo about them making any necessary accommodations re: the bed/lift.

I understand accessibility in Portland is quite good, but would I need a van to visit the falls and surrounding areas?

Are the amount of days in each location adequate (I know more is always better)?
    Why the Palazzo? What accommodations are they going to do to the room?

If you are talking about Multnomah Falls, Grayline tours can provide a lift-equipped bus for their tour of the Gorge (which includes these falls) with 48 hours notice:

http://www.graylineofportland.net/mu...er-tours/faqs/

There may be other companies who offer this as well.

The light rail train in Portland is wheelchair accessible, as are most buses. Take the light rail from the airport to downtown where your hotel is located.

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 10-10-2018 at 07:25 PM.
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    Why the Palazzo? What accommodations are they going to do to the room?
    Provide a frame that will work with the lift.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    If you are talking about Multnomah Falls, Grayline tours can provide a lift-equipped bus for their tour of the Gorge (which includes these falls) with 48 hours notice:

http://www.graylineofportland.net/mu...er-tours/faqs/

There may be other companies who offer this as well.

The light rail train in Portland is wheelchair accessible, as are most buses. Take the light rail from the airport to downtown where your hotel is located.

(KLD)
    That is good news. I’d prefer not to rent a van if at all possible.

That is awesome! Now if every other hotel would do the same in atleast one accessible room traveling would be so much easier.

Portland has a great lightrail system and bus system like Seattle.

So in Las Vegas the hotels going to provide you a bed where the lift will work?

Las vegas is one of the best citys to wheel around...lots of wc cabs, the deuce bus system too

Is Cannon Beach a doable day trip from Portland? Looks to be about 2 hours each way.

Is Cannon Beach a doable day trip from Portland? Looks to be about 2 hours each way.
    Very doable good day trip!

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cann...45.5122308!3e3

http://oregon-point.com/northwest-point/

Great, have you used the Northwest Point service? Still thinking it may be worthwhile to rent to drive along the coast a bit.