Thread: air printer?

air printer?

My 6 year old Epson xp400 air printer is a major ink hog and will not print at all, even in black and white, if one color is out of ink. I'm looking into a new air printer that has the controls on the front panel, not the top of the printer, so I can easily see them. I have a MacBook Air laptop computer.
    I don't print a lot but would like the occasional photo printed on photo paper, in addition to printing documents from my computer or internet in addition to scanning and printing an occasional document. An air printer will also allow me to print from other devices. (My MacBook has 2 USB ports but I prefer an air printer.).

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm checking some out on the internet, but if anyone has suggestions I'd appreciate it, as I'm not quite sure what to look for.

I am very happy with my HP Photosmart 5510 printer/scanner. While I do have this hard wired to my Mac computer, it is WiFi capable. I have had it for several years, so there may be a newer model. The controls are all on the front of the printer.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I checked consumer reports and their highest rated printer is Epson Workforce Pro WF-5190 printer which amazon lists as unavailable, there is a similar model here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079HSMMHG/ref=dp_prsubs_1

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    My 6 year old Epson xp400 air printer is a major ink hog and will not print at all, even in black and white, if one color is out of ink. I'm looking into a new air printer that has the controls on the front panel, not the top of the printer, so I can easily see them. I have a MacBook Air laptop computer.
    I don't print a lot but would like the occasional photo printed on photo paper, in addition to printing documents from my computer or internet in addition to scanning and printing an occasional document. An air printer will also allow me to print from other devices. (My MacBook has 2 USB ports but I prefer an air printer.).
    Inkjet printers are notoriously expensive to operate. Ask yourself if you really NEED color and if you really need PHOTOREALISTIC color.

I find most of our printing is just plain b&w. And, the pages often don't hang around for more than a few hours or days (I printed a map for a drive last night; it's already in the trash). We have a pair of HPLJ6p's (low temperature toner so very economical to run/supply) that are just on standby 24/7/365 waiting for an occasional need.

We had 4 color printers:
    - a color laser
    - a duplexed (two sided) Phaser (uses solid wax-based ink that it melts; fabulous prints!)
    - a 19" Epson inkjet (for tabloid size prints)
    - a dinky little Sony "post card printer" (4x6" prints -- also great quality)

All but the Sony were large beasts (the sony is small enough to carry in one hand)

Our usage was so low that the effort to maintain them (ink drying out in inkjet, high ink waste per startup in the phaser, long warmup time in the laser) just wasn't worth it. We now go to the nearby Kinkos (1 mile) and have them print nice photos and let them worry about keeping supplies on hand, repairing the printer, etc.

[Also had a high-volume duplexed b&w laser that we discarded for similar "low usage" reasons. Did I mention that I have lots of computer kit? ]

The sony is so small I can store it -- and refills -- in a desk drawer if I truly want a hardcopy "photo".

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-DPP-EX50.../dp/B0001GDE8S

My other half used to routinely want 8x10's of pictures she'd taken (to "paint from" -- watercolor artist). Then, I gave her a small tablet that I had rescued/repaired. It allows her to view a collection of her pictures, zoom, rotate, etc. so she no longer bothers with "paper photos". When I later offered her an even larger tablet, "No, this is fine!"

Bottom line: ask yourself why you want it and why you really "need" it. As I get older, I want less hassles in my day-to-day.

Thanks folks! Will check out the printers. I might go with a cheapie for b&w and then get that small Sony for photos.

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    Thanks folks! Will check out the printers. I might go with a cheapie for b&w and then get that small Sony for photos.
    Do check the cost of supplies -- the sony's "replacement cartridges" are pretty pricey -- close to $1 per print! So, unless you really want to make your own prints (or, have prints that you don't want "prying eyes" to see ), you might find it more economical to have your local Costco, Kinkos, etc. make them for you.

[I kept the Sony -- after discarding all the others -- because of its size and the fact that I had several replacement cartridges, already.]