Thread: Quads, what shower chair are you happy with?

Question Quads, what shower chair are you happy with?

C5 here.
    I have been looking around for a new Shower Chair for a long time now.
    I have read plenty of threads on this forum but I think I'll be going with nuprodx multichair 4024 since it looks like it's the most decent chair around, I am still looking for opinions.
    If you guys do your bowel care in the chair do you have the access from the front back or the side?
    Do you guys have a custom cushion? If you own one of the nuprodx chairs what kind of options did you choose?

My buddy is a dealer and I have picked all the options that I need and here's what he wrote.
    "In regards to the drop rail: the 4024 model will receive a drop bar instead of a drop rail. With the drop bar, a part of the frame is omitted (so you don?t have to reach around the frame, which is how you get the extra access) and a drop bar is attached to the legs on the side that has part of the frame omitted (this stabilizes the unit in order to make up for the portion of the missing frame). It is done this way because the big wheels cause the frame to flex whenever the big wheels are going over a threshold, or when they hit an object/wall. I have attached a picture of a unit that has a drop bar (the yellow arrows are pointing to where the portion of the frame has been omitted, and the blue arrow is pointing to the drop bar). The model shown in the picture is different than the one you are getting, but it should give you an idea of how the drop bar functions and what your chair will look like with it mounted.
    In regards to your questions about our standard cushions: Our standard cushions are made from a high quality foam that is hand wrapped in Naugahyde (leather-like material). They are about 2? thick and are fairly soft. We have an upgrade option to which you can add a layer of gel to the seat cushion. The gel helps to distribute the weight across the cushion and helps to reduce/prevent pressure sores (I included this on the quote so you can see the costs, let me know and I can remove it if you like)."

Here are the options that I chose.

DROP RAIL and FRAME
    allows 4? of clear front or side access without the cushion or frame getting in the way (SPECIFY ORIENTATION - LEFT, RIGHT, FRONT, BACK) - RIGHT

COMMODE PAN
    Includes 12" x 14" x 6" pan, aluminum u-channel rails, stainless mounting hardware.

COMMODE PAN LOWERING BRACKETS
    Used with commode pan E1, mounting hardware lowers pan 4" to provide access between frame and pan

1?" THICK CURVED BACK CUSHION
    Seamless padded self-skinning cushion, provides lateral stability

CALF STRAP (1)
    2" side hook and loop closure
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

I use a RAZ SP chair.. Access through the front with my stim stick, which looks tough with the one you're looking at due to the front crossbar. It's very adjustable. My only real gripe is the cushion moves around a bit from my transfer and needs to be re-set in it's place every couple of weeks.

Apart from that though, it's great. Helps me be independent.

You're still looking for one of those?
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Quote Originally Posted by Crappler View Post
    You're still looking for one of those?
    yeah, looking for opinions and options
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Acrtiveaid Model 922. It’s a sturdy, well built chair. My son has had it for at least 11 years. He is a c6/7. It has enough space all around for him to do his own BP. We have had to replace the seat cushion about 4 times, they are not cheap. He uses it every day and the vinyl splits from all the transfers. We also did a custom, solid back on it so it does not fold. However, we just remove the back when he wants to do a road trip with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mombo View Post
    Acrtiveaid Model 922. It’s a sturdy, well built chair. My son has had it for at least 11 years. He is a c6/7. It has enough space all around for him to do his own BP. We have had to replace the seat cushion about 4 times, they are not cheap. He uses it every day and the vinyl splits from all the transfers. We also did a custom, solid back on it so it does not fold. However, we just remove the back when he wants to do a road trip with it.
    He also has the Nuprodx travel chair which is great for airplane travel.