Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chair creaking/cracking

Chair creaking/cracking

This is starting to be annoying, and seemingly growing worse. Brand new aluminum (maybe that's why?) Ki Rogue, when I turn in place, the right side by the axles are making creaking sounds, and pops that I can feel. Is this normal? It's been awhile since I've had other than titanium. It's so loud! They have shifted the COG a few times, maybe it's slightly off? Anyone have any idea?

Solid tires? They'll do that when they move on the rims.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Pluck the spokes to see if they are tight. Check every nut and bolt on the chair to see if anything loosened up. Call Ki they are pretty good guys.

I am still waiting weeks later, for the DME to rectify my caster fork issue. The creaking and cracking has worsened. It's so annoying. And there's a weird sound from the "good" caster fork, that sounds like a tension creak. Hard to explain. But the spokes are all good and tight. I think axles because I can feel it popping when I turn and move. I'm worried they're not going to do anything, as usual, what it looks like is that I'm being seen as a pain in the ass. I can't be the only one that has issues with a brand new chair...?

If you only hear it when you turn in place, it sounds to me like a caster steering bearing, namely a horizontal bearing.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

No I hear it a lot of the time. Backing up, turning, just turning in place makes several loud ones. The fork stops making noise when I put bike lube on it, of course. But it sounds like a spring being strained. IDK, trying to get the darn DME to email or call back. It's been two weeks. I'm going for Frog Legs carbon. These single sided ones are just not good for me. As for the cracking, the one thing messed with the most is COG. They have marks to eyeball each side, and I bet if it's just a tad off, it's gonna make noises. I've had titanium, maybe this is just how aluminum is...?
    I'm wracking my brain for some sort of material to velcro under my feet, yet leave the middle area of the footplate open for the FreeWheel. I need about 2" more boost. But if I get risers, then the FW won't work with it.

If you're out of the chair and swivel the caster forks can you feel any resistance or catching at all, no matter how small? If so its the bearings. Change them if you can. Don't put liquid lube on them, that washes the grease out. Have you called Ki about it?

Quote Originally Posted by heartdog View Post
    I'm going for Frog Legs carbon. These single sided ones are just not good for me. -----
    I'm wracking my brain for some sort of material to velcro under my feet, yet leave the middle area of the footplate open for the FreeWheel. I need about 2" more boost. But if I get risers, then the FW won't work with it.
    I can see a benefit in using carbon fibre in major components where the weight saving advantage is detectable, but for castors?? Carbon to save only grams in weight; why for? I doubt that the cost warrants any perceptable gain - which in my opinion is bugger all.
    Have you considered independent riser platforms, LHS and RHS, that will allow fitment of the Freewheel to the original footplate?

I found it easier to get a tubular footplate for when I wanted to use my freewheel. It's easy to switch out, just a couple set screws.

How can I get independent risers? Like have them cut a footplate in half?

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    I can see a benefit in using carbon fibre in major components where the weight saving advantage is detectable, but for castors?? Carbon to save only grams in weight; why for? I doubt that the cost warrants any perceptable gain - which in my opinion is bugger all.
    Have you considered independent riser platforms, LHS and RHS, that will allow fitment of the Freewheel to the original footplate?