Thread: Floor lifts

Floor lifts

Looking for ideas for equipment to get me from the floor to at least 15". I found one thread and basically there was the Camel https://www.patient-room.com/p-manga...MaAunuEALw_wcB @ $2,000 or a bath lift @ $400 https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Medical...rds=bath+lifts

I have a lot of muscle tightness (spasticity) and do not bend easily, I think it would be a problem for someone to get me sitting upright to get onto the bath chair, the camel may be easier as it would probably sit me up slowly (with my knees bent I can sit up but it takes someone pulling me forward) . I thought of a portable lift like the Hoyer Advance but the specs say it's range is 15.4 - 64.6" so it does reach the floor.

I've always counted on my son through the years but I've gotten heavier and he's gotten older. He's 45 now and doesn't need to be lifting 190lbs off the floor. I use to help quite a bit with my legs but not so much anymore. I need to get something, I've not hit the floor in 3+ years (knock on wood) but it's going to happen. I do independent transfers and it gets pretty scary sometimes.

So if anyone has any ideas/suggestion on other available equipment, I'd be glad to hear about it.

The Hoyer Advance and most floor based lifts will pick you up from the floor. The minimum height from the floor is the height of the spreader bar; using one of the appropriate slings, the sling with you in it on the floor will attach to the spreader bar in the low position.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Looking for ideas for equipment to get me from the floor to at least 15". I found one thread and basically there was the Camel https://www.patient-room.com/p-manga...MaAunuEALw_wcB @ $2,000 or a bath lift @ $400 https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Medical...rds=bath+lifts

I have a lot of muscle tightness (spasticity) and do not bend easily, I think it would be a problem for someone to get me sitting upright to get onto the bath chair, the camel may be easier as it would probably sit me up slowly (with my knees bent I can sit up but it takes someone pulling me forward) . I thought of a portable lift like the Hoyer Advance but the specs say it's range is 15.4 - 64.6" so it does reach the floor.

I've always counted on my son through the years but I've gotten heavier and he's gotten older. He's 45 now and doesn't need to be lifting 190lbs off the floor. I use to help quite a bit with my legs but not so much anymore. I need to get something, I've not hit the floor in 3+ years (knock on wood) but it's going to happen. I do independent transfers and it gets pretty scary sometimes.

So if anyone has any ideas/suggestion on other available equipment, I'd be glad to hear about it.
    Find someone that has a little skill with tools and have them make you one for a 1/3 of the cost.

I had a friend make me with a actuator and a simple seat for $150.

Its called a power stool!

View My Video

We picked up a ParaLadder?

Although a little pricey, it's saved my aging butt a few times when it hit the floor!
    https://www.amazon.com/Para-Ladder-S.../dp/B003VHTVOA
    The thing is lightweight and folds flat. Good construction, will outlive anyone.
    I see cheaper aids on this page also.
    I think we paid ~$800 direct to the guy who makes them.

RE: power stool. Very great! Now you got me thinking about linear actuators (which are quite available, economical, and in a wide variety of lengths and loads)
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

kld, Good information about the hoist.

Roll Positive, Don't really know anyone right now, seems to work like a bath lift.

pfcs49, I've seen those before and looks great for para's but I'm a quad(hardly any triceps). I really don't think I have the strength or flexibility.

Thanks for all the responses.

wes4dpt: looking at Roll Positive's video I immediately visualized mounting the linear motor higher allowing a cushioned base to go flat on the floor.
    If you use a manual chair and can transfer, that would work nicely.

If not, I'm sorry. And I think I've got it bad.....!
    Last edited by pfcs49; 10-09-2018 at 10:27 AM.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Not sure how useful this is, but if you can get yourself onto a flat platform 9" off the ground, a Harbor Freight hydraulic table cart will hoist you up right up to any height needed the rest of the way. Definitely makes any floor transfer a heck of a lot easier

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Not sure how useful this is, but if you can get yourself onto a flat platform 9" off the ground, a Harbor Freight hydraulic table cart will hoist you up right up to any height needed the rest of the way. Definitely makes any floor transfer a heck of a lot easier
    I can transfer but the problem is getting my fat but 9" off the floor. lol

wes4dpt: looking at Roll Positive's video I immediately visualized mounting the linear motor higher allowing a cushioned base to go flat on the floor.
    If you use a manual chair and can transfer, that would work nicely.

If not, I'm sorry. And I think I've got it bad.....!
    N need to be sorry, It's a god idea. I'd like a bigger seat and maybe some type of bar to grab and lean against.