Thread: Heel Protection

Washington DC area--------------------T3 complete

Heel Protection

My foot doctor recommended I get heel protectors due to calluses developing - was wonder if this might be what he was talking about? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078C7FTL3...a-8f727cc558dd

Thanks!

Here is a recent thread regarding heel protection. The major subject of the thread was preventing heel drop.
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/search....archid=5998182

Here is another threads on heel protection:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/search....archid=5998182

If you search Care Cure Community "heel protection," you will find several posts that are older, but they still may have some relevance to your needs.

You are lucky that you have only had callous develop...pressure ulcers on the heels are a common problem for people with SCI/D, and often go quickly to the bone.

Neither of those links work for me.

Here is the most recent discussion of heel protection boots.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ght=heel+boots

Here are a few more:

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Washington DC area--------------------T3 complete
    Thanks for the replies gjnl and KLD.

gjnl the links didn't work for me either. Also not looking for foot drop corrections, but something to prevent calluses, or worse on the bottoms of my feet.

I currently wear sheep skin lined slippers because any type of shoe cases blisters on the sides of my feet. When I went to the podiatrist this week he noticed calluses on the bottoms of each foot. Wants me to wear heel protectors while at home. Said to go to local medical supply store to get them.

The ones I saw on Amazon look similar to the ones on the first link from KLD.

Thanks again for your replies.

I just found a fairly new product for band aid it is called hydro seal band aid. I got a blister on my heal. First one in years so went to Google looking for advice. You put it on and leave it until it starts to come off.. it is more medicated. Goes on as a clear band aid and then the injured area the band aid starts to turn white and creates a bubble over the sore. I am very impressed with them. I had a Nicole size sore over the weekend put the band aid on, on Tuesday. Decided to look today before I wrote this. The blister had popped last weekend so it was an open sore. Today the center is pink and has a nice skin over it. Not a normal soft like under a regular bandaid. I will try to post photos.

Heel protection

Name:  P_20181005_212237.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  71.1 KBName:  P_20181005_212154.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  84.9 KBName:  P_20181005_212217.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  88.7 KB
    The first picture is today the second was Tuesday with my thumb so I could watch size the third is how the band aid looks like. So you can keep an eye on it without removing the band aid I used a large band aid but they also have an extra large size. I am going to put a new band aid tonight to keep it protected

Sorry the links didn't work for you or KLD. I was at each thread and copied the link that was provided. vBulletin can be quirky (doesn't recognize apostrophes and other other symbols like the hypertext degree symbol. registered trademark and on and on).

When is vBulletin going to go away....thought Care Cure Community was going to move beyond vBulletin and go on the Rutgers' server...but that doesn't seem to be happening any time soon. Anyone with an update on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Lavender lady View Post
    Name:  P_20181005_212237.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  71.1 KBName:  P_20181005_212154.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  84.9 KBName:  P_20181005_212217.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  88.7 KB
    The first picture is today the second was Tuesday with my thumb so I could watch size the third is how the band aid looks like. So you can keep an eye on it without removing the band aid I used a large band aid but they also have an extra large size. I am going to put a new band aid tonight to keep it protected
    Ouch "Lav" that looks bad and painful. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Sorry the links didn't work for you or KLD. I was at each thread and copied the link that was provided. vBulletin can be quirky (doesn't recognize apostrophes and other other symbols like the hypertext degree symbol. registered trademark and on and on).

When is vBulletin going to go away....thought Care Cure Community was going to move beyond vBulletin and go on the Rutgers' server...but that doesn't seem to be happening any time soon. Anyone with an update on this?
    Steven Edwards, our web master, has had some health problems and has not been able to work on this. We are waiting for him to be able to make this move.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Sorry Steven is not well. But thanks for the update.